Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics of the Acro!

IMG_5691.jpeg
IMG_5691.jpeg
IMG_5690.jpeg
IMG_5693.jpeg
My guess would be Acropora horrida. Still a very nice coral, not a species you see all that much.

OP
OP
Fangs

Fangs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Against my better judgement, I am attempting to grow out the original Tyree Purple Monster again. I lost my first colony back in 2009. They say the second time is the charm. Fingers crossed!

1707248592617.jpeg
You got this! Good luck!

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Against my better judgement, I am attempting to grow out the original Tyree Purple Monster again. I lost my first colony back in 2009. They say the second time is the charm. Fingers crossed!

1707248592617.jpeg
What kind of lighting/par are you keeping it under?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1707248592617.jpeg
You sucker!! After all the talks about how I shouldn’t try it again and the headaches that thing has caused everyone in the past!! Hahahahahahahahaha love it bro! I’ll still get the purple blade
Can’t wait to come see it and the rest of they system!

Corey

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You sucker!! After all the talks about how I shouldn’t try it again and the headaches that thing has caused everyone in the past!! Hahahahahahahahaha love it bro! I’ll still get the purple blade
Can’t wait to come see it and the rest of they system!

Corey
Just trying to save you money and heartache, my friend.

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

1707248592617.jpeg
Yes! gogogo!

You're ambitious mounting it to that LOL. Hope you got a decade for it to cover it :).

Good Luck!

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're ambitious mounting it to that LOL. Hope you got a decade for it to cover it :).
If the purple monster fragment is still alive in my system for another decade, I will be laughing with you, Domenic! I use those dome shaped frag mounts made from aragonite reef sand for all my sps frags in grow-out.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the purple monster fragment is still alive in my system for another decade, I will be laughing with you, Domenic! I use those dome shaped frag mounts made from aragonite reef sand for all my sps frags in grow-out.

Be careful you don’t drop those frag plugs, you’ll break a toe:grinning-squinting-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Be careful you don’t drop those frag plugs, you’ll break a toe:grinning-squinting-face::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Thanks for the advice, but I think I will be okay and I know a great podiatrist too!

For bare bottom systems, aquadome frag mounts stay upright and snails can't knock them over. Travertine natural stone tiles work well for me too. For example, my Reefgen Blueberry Fantasy is still growing out on an aquadome frag mount and arrived as a tiny 3/4" frag. It will need to be transplanted onto a larger travertine stone tile soon.

1707373053744.jpeg

1707373184882.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to argue about this, but rather just state my experiences and move on... if you want to grow some of these old school corals, then you have to raise them like people did back then... lighting to the water parameters. There are reasons why these faded away. It is no coincidence that tanks that moved LED slowly saw PM melt away over time... or the new thoughts that higher no3 and po4 are somehow providing nutrition instead of being waste products.

If you don't believe me, look at how the people who still have PM thrive today raise it. Thirsty had 20k Radiums the last that I checked. ReefBum dropped his MH. ... those are just the two mentioned here, but the list goes on and on.

JF Purple Blade Simplex has very similar colors and is slightly easier to grow. Like most simplex, it will not be happy with heavy blues and higher waste products. ReefGen Blueberry fantasy might be close enough for some - it is cool.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to argue about this, but rather just state my experiences and move on... if you want to grow some of these old school corals, then you have to raise them like people did back then... lighting to the water parameters. There are reasons why these faded away. It is no coincidence that tanks that moved LED slowly saw PM melt away over time... or the new thoughts that higher no3 and po4 are somehow providing nutrition instead of being waste products.

If you don't believe me, look at how the people who still have PM thrive today raise it. Thirsty had 20k Radiums the last that I checked. ReefBum dropped his MH. ... those are just the two mentioned here, but the list goes on and on.

JF Purple Blade Simplex has very similar colors and is slightly easier to grow. Like most simplex, it will not be happy with heavy blues and higher waste products. ReefGen Blueberry fantasy might be close enough for some - it is cool.

Im gonna test that out again. I agree the MH + T5 lighting plays a big part in its growth, but when I ran higher nutrients in my old tank the growth took off. Running uln systems I always saw the traditional ‘slow’ growth. Considering the sps growth alone drops the po4 in the water column, I think it’s more than just byproduct waste to the corals. But we’ll see. I could be wrong.

Last edited:

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Interesting theory that its the light and or/nutrients. It may well be correct.

I grew a 6" colony back in 2010-2013 at the top of my reef structure under an 8 bulb ATI powermodule with 50/50 blue+ aquablue special bulbs at what is now considered very low nutrients at 2/.02. I now run LEDs and higher nutrients at 10/.1. So that aligns with your theory.

That said, its hard to understand how my latest frag grew from a 3/4" single branch frag to 2"x2" multibranched mini colony in a bit over a year, yet was so stressed by the lights and/or nutrients that it would give up the ghost in a sudden RTN event. I would think it had to have been happy to multiply its mass by approx. 10x over a year and therefore the sudden RTN was something else entirely, but who knows. What is your thought on how it could grow so well under the LEDs at higher nutrients then suddenly die because of the light and/or nutrient level?

RussiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Garry! You lost it? The frag I got from you grew to about a quarter of that size then decided to RTN right before my eyes!! I was going to hit you up for another frag. Bummer!!
Sad to hear that you lost your PM Art.
Currently regrowing it from the saved frag under LED and high nutrients. PURPLE MONSTER-4_Original.jpeg

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been fascinated with all the old sps that were apart of the hobby for a very long time. I was wondering, has similar coral from the Solomon Islands been imported after the OG came in? I know when Jake Adam’s and Unique Corals went they got a colony, but have any known come in besides that time? I’ve seen Solomon coral being imported recently so was just curious. Any other information about the purple monster will be welcomed as well. Thanks everyone.
I am pretty sure I have a piece of this from a Battle box from @Battlecorals

Its just starting to send up new arms

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back