SPS Shipping ?

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that ship SPS coral how long can SPS stay in shipping bag until they can be placed into tank.
I have a shipment coming today and planed to be home but my help at my store called in sick so I had to fill in.
I have someone at home to receive the package so it will not stay outside the door.
She can open the package upon arrival and place the bags in the sump to keep temps stable until I can get home from work about 5 to 6 hrs after the shipment is received.
Is this ok or should I have her temp acclimate and place in tank ?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't open the shipping box. It probably has a heat pad in there to keep the water in the bag good until you get home. Unless your help can place the frag in the tank for you.

OP
OP
Chris Spaulding

Chris Spaulding

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't open the shipping box. It probably has a heat pad in there to keep the water in the bag good until you get home. Unless your help can place the frag in the tank for you.
She can place the unopened bags that the coral are in in the sump and let them float there to keep temps up until I get home. Would not that keep the temps up and steady? There is no lighting in the sump. And then when I get home can inspect and Dip before going into the tank.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
She can place the unopened bags that the coral are in in the sump and let them float there to keep temps up until I get home. Would not that keep the temps up and steady? There is no lighting in the sump. And then when I get home can inspect and Dip before going into the tank.
That's what I would do.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine too

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dip shipped SPS frags. They are already stressed from shipping and entering a new environment. WWC will advise you not to dip for reference.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dip shipped SPS frags. They are already stressed from shipping and entering a new environment. WWC will advise you not to dip for reference.
Agreed! I don't do it either. I just make sure that the places I do business with care about their stuff. I mean those kinds of things are self evident after doing this long enough. And really, pests are not that hard to deal with once you identify them. It's when you let them go that you have problems.

dandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your shipment is delayed in transit. Leave the box unopened. Your corals will be fine.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 143 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back