Coral Dip Guide

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this together because I was tired of searching around for this information. Here it is in all one place for some of the more popular methods of dipping coral.

General cleansers and cleaners commonly used for eliminating parasites and bacterial infections.

Coral RX – General, 1.25ml/cup or 20ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Fragrecover – General, 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, 5 minutes.

Koral MD PRO – General, 0.9375ml/cup or 1.5ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Polyplab Reef Primer – General (Potassium Salts), ½ cap/cup or 8 caps/gallon, 5 minutes.

Revive – General (plant extracts), 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, less than 15 minutes.

Expel Coral Cleanse - General (natural herb blend), 3ml/0.5 gallons, 5-10 minutes.

Iodine based commonly used for unwanted parasites, harmful bacteria, microbial diseases, and for tissue damage or degradation. LPS and softies can benefit from Iodine dips.

TM Pro-Coral Cure – Iodine based, 1ml/200ml, 10-15 minutes.

Lugol’s Solution – Iodine based, 2 drops/cup or 30-40 drops/gallon, 10-15 minutes. Strength varies by brand.

Seachem reef dip – Iodine based, 0.3125-0.625ml/cup or 5-10ml/gallon, 15-30 minutes.

Medicoral – Iodine based, 0.0625ml/cup or 1ml/gallon, Small-polyp Stony Corals: 7 - 10 minutes; Large-polyp Stony Corals: 6 - 9 minutes; Soft (“Leather”) Corals: 8 - 11 minutes; Colonial and Solitary Polyps: 5 - 8 minutes.

Other use dips not based off of the label.

Flatworm Rx or Exit – Flatworms, 3 drops/gallon, 15 minutes, seems to be commonplace.

Bayer – Insecticide, 10ml/cup or 160ml/gallon according to BRS referencing Mike Paletta

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/faq-26-using-bayer-as-a-coral-dip-what-recipe-do-we-use

Article by Mike Paletta on Reef Builders site https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/15/quarantine-corals/

Obviously a lot of legal precautions relating to safety and other things using Bayer. Use at your own risk with the understanding that you should only use Bayer according to the label and with all necessary precautions in place for safe use.

Peroxide 3% - Algae, 1:1 sw to H2O2 with zoas and some LPS for 1 minute, or 10:1 for 5 minutes, or 20:1 for 10 minutes. I have dipped the entire plug up to the base of sps in straight H2O2 to remove algae without ill effects. Peroxide dipping is highly debated. Start slow and use in a manner you are comfortable using it.

Freshwater - Pinched Mantle Disease and Elegance Coral Syndrome. Refer to OrionN article related to those issues.

Last edited:

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good article!
Are you going to update all by your self from your researches or it's open for everyone to post in whatever he use to be collected here as best as possible ?
If let me know, because most of that products can't find them internationally, and for example here (UK) we got some different, like in different areas around the world.
Regarding the H2O2 I think it's better to describe what concentration of H2)2 is the solution you are using, because here I can find: 3% / 6% / 12% / 26 % (I'm buying the maximum strength and dilute it to my requirements usually.

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be something people can provide their own recommendations about.
Some people might find that a product works better at a different concentration than the manufacturer recommends.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be something people can provide their own recommendations about.
Some people might find that a product works better at a different concentration than the manufacturer recommends.
Agree with you, and see what you mean, ok, I'll write later on about what I can find here, and how I use it. And thx you show up the % of the peroxide ;)

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put this together because I was tired of searching around for this information. Here it is in all one place for some of the more popular methods of dipping coral.

General cleansers and cleaners commonly used for eliminating parasites and bacterial infections.

Coral RX – General, 1.25ml/cup or 20ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Fragrecover – General, 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, 5 minutes.

Koral MD PRO – General, 0.9375ml/cup or 1.5ml/gallon, 5-10 minutes.

Polyplab Reef Primer – General (Potassium Salts), ½ cap/cup or 8 caps/gallon, 5 minutes.

Revive – General (plant extracts), 2.5ml/cup or 40ml/gallon, less than 15 minutes.

Expel Coral Cleanse - General (natural herb blend), 3ml/0.5 gallons, 5-10 minutes.

Iodine based commonly used for unwanted parasites, harmful bacteria, microbial diseases, and for tissue damage or degradation. LPS and softies can benefit from Iodine dips.

TM Pro-Coral Cure – Iodine based, 1ml/200ml, 10-15 minutes.

Lugol’s Solution – Iodine based, 2 drops/cup or 30-40 drops/gallon, 10-15 minutes. Strength varies by brand.

Seachem reef dip – Iodine based, 0.3125-0.625ml/cup or 5-10ml/gallon, 15-30 minutes.

Medicoral – Iodine based, 0.0625ml/cup or 1ml/gallon, Small-polyp Stony Corals: 7 - 10 minutes; Large-polyp Stony Corals: 6 - 9 minutes; Soft (“Leather”) Corals: 8 - 11 minutes; Colonial and Solitary Polyps: 5 - 8 minutes.

Other use dips not based off of the label.

Flatworm Rx or Exit – Flatworms, 3 drops/gallon, 15 minutes, seems to be commonplace.

Bayer – Insecticide, 10ml/cup or 160ml/gallon according to BRS referencing Mike Paletta

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/faq-26-using-bayer-as-a-coral-dip-what-recipe-do-we-use

Article by Mike Paletta on Reef Builders site https://reefbuilders.com/2015/08/15/quarantine-corals/

Obviously a lot of legal precautions relating to safety and other things using Bayer. Use at your own risk with the understanding that you should only use Bayer according to the label and with all necessary precautions in place for safe use.

Peroxide 3% - Algae, 1:1 sw to H2O2 with zoas and some LPS for 1 minute, or 10:1 for 5 minutes, or 20:1 for 10 minutes. I have dipped the entire plug up to the base of sps in straight H2O2 to remove algae without ill effects. Peroxide dipping is highly debated. Start slow and use in a manner you are comfortable using it.

Freshwater - Pinched Mantle Disease and Elegance Coral Syndrome. Refer to OrionN article related to those issues.
Good info, very helpful. Thanks.

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For coral Rx this is not the recommended dosage.

recommended dosage is 40ml / gallon

1 cup (8oz) would be 2.5ml coral Rx

OP
OP
Silent

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For coral Rx this is not the recommended dosage.

recommended dosage is 40ml / gallon

1 cup (8oz) would be 2.5ml coral Rx
I got it straight from BRS website. If you use it at a different strength and it works than that is great information to share.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great!! I'm going to make it a sticky in this forum and also our coral forums. Thanks @Silent for taking the time to put this together.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to suggest that this be a sticky! Great thread @Silent

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the solution in the OP post
Another I'm using:
Coral DIP (NTLabs - 30ml) General: 2-3 pipette per 1L - 5-1minutes (soft, LPS and SPS corals)
Alternative method:
Dettol - Antiseptic (Chloroxylenol 4.8% Based) 0.5ml/L or 2ml/G for 5-7 maximum 10 minutes work for some eggs deposit on the flesh and skeleton. Also is very good if there is some dirt, debris or other unwanted deposits which can be easy brushed off of the corals. easy remove diatoms (make them wash away easy w/o traces)
- leather corals - 5 - 7 min. max
- LPS - 5 - 7, max 9 (haven't test on plate-Fungia coral)
- SPS 5-7min, max 10 (you can gently brush the non fleshy area) all will fall off easy

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer makes a lot of insecticides. Which one is suitable for a coral dip? A photo of the bottle would be helpful.
the problem with the Bayer I have, can't find the same treatment here in UK which is that popular in US.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Boomer52 The bottle says, "Complete Insect Killer". It used to be called "Bayer Advanced" but I believe the new label goes by "BioAdvanced".
Yep, the same one can't find it here in UK, or at least wasn't in the over 10+ garden centres I check about, and few other Agro shops.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nature of antibiotic is such that antibiotic will not be effective as a dip. Antibiotic does not kill bacterial on contact.

Dieing for a Drink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is it better for me to ask one of our quarantine sponsers i really have my sights on a large lemon tip id like for my clowns...any way to make it safe so i dont have to wait a month?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back