Coral Dip Help!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did I accidentally kill my Xenia by dipping it yesterday/glueing rocks underwater and doing some aquarium maintenance? It kind of fell apart in my hand by accident so I put it in frag recover today and now it looks like the second photo.
83BA4044-29B6-4DAC-86FE-7F777DC0C1E1.jpeg
32C1F7F5-BB4C-4294-A8E5-D51F23622B8A.jpeg

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What dip did you use?

What are your parameters?

Did you add the frags yesterday in addition to the gluing? Or did it look fine before maintenance and then look bad after?

What all we done during your maintenance?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What dip did you use?

What are your parameters?

Did you add the frags yesterday in addition to the gluing? Or did it look fine before maintenance and then look bad after?

What all we done during your maintenance?
Koral MD Pro and Coral Frag Dip Recover. My parameters are nearly perfect and it looked bad after the dip and worse after maintenance which was a water change, filter replacement, etc. and using aquarium putty (Instant Ocean) today.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty banged up. If it doesn't make it, it's probably for the best anyway. Xenia is considered invasive by most intermediate and advanced reefers and I don't recommend adding it to a tank. When it gets bigger and you start trimming it back, it will often drop cloves all over the tank and end up leaving you with a tank of nothing but xenia

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks pretty banged up. If it doesn't make it, it's probably for the best anyway. Xenia is considered invasive by most intermediate and advanced reefers and I don't recommend adding it to a tank. When it gets bigger and you start trimming it back, it will often drop cloves all over the tank and end up leaving you with a tank of nothing but xenia
It’s a waiting game and I know some of the prettiest ones always have to be a pain lol…that goes for fish too!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These coral tolerate glue well although gluing not required to secure them. Dipping unnecessary for weed like specimens. They should bounce back

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These coral tolerate glue well although gluing not required to secure them. Dipping unnecessary for weed like specimens. They should bounce back
Thanks. I always dip for hitchhikers and to clarify I was gluing my aquascape.

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping unnecessary for weed like specimens.
If you are referring to dipping to help them heal, I agree 100% that dips aren't needed to help them pop back.

If you are referring to not dipping for pests ie bayer, why? Xenia can bring hitchhikers like nudibranches, flatworms, ich, velvet, etc.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
If you are referring to dipping to help them heal, I agree 100% that dips aren't needed to help them pop back.

If you are referring to not dipping for pests ie bayer, why? Xenia can bring hitchhikers like nudibranches, flatworms, ich, velvet, etc.
They often do not do well with dipping.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Xenia can retract into almost nothing when stressed or upset then expand back to normal. It's quite amazing actually. This might take a few days. If it goes on longer than that then it might be a goner. If it looks like a goner you can always leave the frag plug in there to see if it left babies on it.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.8%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back