Coral dipping first corals

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start adding my first corals. I've been researching how to dip. I've seen many people recommend bayer insect killer for hitchhikers. I also see other dips for other things. Like hydrogen peroxide for algae and iodine for bacteria. I also saw BRStv on youtube say not to just dip with every kind of dip you can because you'll stress the corals too much. Any advice on what I should use?

I'm looking at
Zoas
Palys
Mushrooms
Leathers
Duncans
Gsp

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm about to start adding my first corals. I've been researching how to dip. I've seen many people recommend bayer insect killer for hitchhikers. I also see other dips for other things. Like hydrogen peroxide for algae and iodine for bacteria. I also saw BRStv on youtube say not to just dip with every kind of dip you can because you'll stress the corals too much. Any advice on what I should use?

I'm looking at
Zoas
Palys
Mushrooms
Leathers
Duncans
Gsp
Hi Scooter,

Bayer for SPS
Lugol's for LPS
Coral RX or Coral Revive for softies.

And then QT them for at least 45 days. During which you can re dip as needed. And or treat with H202 for algae too.

OP
OP
Scooter21

Scooter21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Scooter,

Bayer for SPS
Lugol's for LPS
Coral RX or Coral Revive for softies.

And then QT them for at least 45 days. During which you can re dip as needed. And or treat with H202 for algae too.
Could you elaborate on what the different dips are and why you would choose each dip for each type? Like, is there a reason to not use bayer on softies?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer on almost everything. No need to overcomplicate things.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you elaborate on what the different dips are and why you would choose each dip for each type? Like, is there a reason to not use bayer on softies?
Bayer being an insecticide, kills critters with nervous systems: i.e. red bugs, AEFW (Acro eating flat worms). Just be sure to use the right version of Bayer.

Lugol's is an iodine type of antiseptic that treats most LPS concerns like infections and helps prevent bleaching of coral tissues and also helps polyp extension.

Coral RX and or Revive Coral both are antiseptics that help prevent bacterial infections and also helps rid corals of parasites: bristle worms, red flat worms, sea spiders, some algae, snails, etc.

Overall the three make a nice med kit for treating incoming corals and treating sick or damaged corals.
Repeated treatments can and may be necessary.

***Placing corals that have been treated with Bayer into a tank with inverts or fish can be risky, even if you are rinsing them before transfer ***
Bayer is very powerful and even a small amount of it can kill some inverts rather quickly. Caution is advise here.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I can't get batter where I live, for acros I use concentrated solution of Praziquantel that will paralyse most pests, including AEFW.
For softies/LPS I use either Coral Rx by Blue Life or Revive by TLF.
And I use Iodine dip to treat infections.

After Dipping I also use a turkey buster or a small pump to blow off any invisible pests that could be found on the tissue, and inspect with a magnifying glass both the tissue and base, mostly to look for eggs.

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with dipping everything in Coral RX and Iodine myself, but I only keep softies and LPS. Any time I frag I also do a light iodine dip just to help keep infections away.

I've read a lot about Bayer but as I don't keep acros/sps, I haven't added it to my dip collection. Are there things on LPS/softies that Bayer would neutralize that CoralRX and or iodine wouldn't?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with dipping everything in Coral RX and Iodine myself, but I only keep softies and LPS. Any time I frag I also do a light iodine dip just to help keep infections away.

I've read a lot about Bayer but as I don't keep acros/sps, I haven't added it to my dip collection. Are there things on LPS/softies that Bayer would neutralize that CoralRX and or iodine wouldn't?
That is a great question. The problem is there could always be something lurking within or on a coral that needs a stronger weapon. Generally I use Lugols (Brightwell Pro) for all LPS.
But if a coral comes to me on a nasty looking frag or bit of rock. It gets both: Bayer then Lugols. Like when you get a nice Zoa colony on a rock.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
10 ml per 4 oz of tank water for 10-15 minutes, rinse, rinse, rinse in clean tank water. ;)
That is double what I’ve seen elsewhere online. Typically I’ve seen 10 mL per cup of tank water. But you’re saying 20 per cup of tank water.
What Corals have you dipped in this concentration? Thanks

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is double what I’ve seen elsewhere online. Typically I’ve seen 10 mL per cup of tank water. But you’re saying 20 per cup of tank water.
What Corals have you dipped in this concentration? Thanks
All: softies, Gorgs, LPS, SPS

Tradevg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in the same boat, looking to add some combination of softies, lps, zoas and anemones. I’ve read elsewhere to prepare a fresh bath for each individual coral and elsewhere I see people dipping the whole frag tray at once. What are some thoughts on using the same bath for dipping 3 to 5 corals at a time? Also thoughts on quarantining after a dip for those of us with limited facilities? Thank you.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine and dip separately only if there is a concern for pests - that is, after a prior inspection.
Otherwise, a bath for dipping multiple corals is enough.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to be 100% sure you can dip then quarantine. I do this for both pests and disease that could come on the coral

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a dilute iodine dip, and vigorously squirt the frag with a turkey baster while it's in the dip. Zoas get a stronger iodine dip, they love the stuff. It should irritate anything mobile into dropping off the coral, which is really all you need- doesn't matter if it's still alive, as long as it doesn't go into the tank.

Whatever dip you use, keep a turkey baster and a cup of clean water on hand. If anything harmless or beneficial drops off the coral, like brittle stars, sand skaters, or amphipods, save em. I usually check the coral over by hand before dipping, to try and remove anything I can see.

As far as I know, anemones should generally not be dipped. They don't like a lot of dips, and the fact that they don't have any plugs/etc attached means that they're unlikely to carry anything in. Same deal for unattached mushrooms.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was always general practice for me to switch the corals to new plugs. Bayer is hard to get here so this thread is helpful as I'm hoping to start getting some SPS in the next month or so.

I try to source everything from quality suppliers as well. Gives me a little peace of mind.

Research, research, research...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 46 32.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back