Coral Dipping

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all what is your go to Coral dip?

Coral RX, Revive, Reef Dip or maybe something else?

Please share any experiences positive or negative, why you maybe don't use one product and why you use another.

Got a special ritual?

With all the frags we get from SO many tanks, not dipping for things like red bugs is the equivalent to not quarantining fish. Please make sure we're all using some kind of method to prevent spread of coral disease and parasites !

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5min in Coral RX followed by 5min in Revive... than into the QT tank.

Useful_Idiot

Artificially Intelligent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips dont kill red bug eggs or flatworm eggs. So quarantining is the way to protect yourself from a total coral loss and dips are for treatment of pests when found in qt.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how I feel about using a pesticide on my coral or anywhere near my tank for that matter. When looking up what to purchase last night I did see many people say that used Bayer. I thought they were referring to the aspirin.

I'd like to try coral RX. Also I'm a big seachem fan and they make reef dip now.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine fish but didn't think quarantining corals was necessary. Does anyone else QT corals?

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used coral rx in the past.
I use revive now. Just started using bayer, and I'm impressed.
Sometimes a quick hydrogen peroxide bath too.

Higher Thinking

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantine fish but didn't think quarantining corals was necessary. Does anyone else QT corals?
Whether people actually do or not, it is certainly advisable to do this. Most people don't even qt fish, let alone corals. However, you'll find that those who are serious about their system will certainly qt everything. A coral qt is a bit more difficult because you need an extra light, but that's it.

kb1094

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral RX Pro, it's more concentrated than others, but at the same time is expensive. The good thing about it is that you don't need to use a lot. Usually I put one drop per specimen cup and it works great.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how I feel about using a pesticide on my coral or anywhere near my tank for that matter. When looking up what to purchase last night I did see many people say that used Bayer. I thought they were referring to the aspirin.

I'd like to try coral RX. Also I'm a big seachem fan and they make reef dip now.

if you using "Bayer" you WILL wont to rinse the coral off sufficiently before returning it to a QT and definitively before placing in DT.

SaltySammy

Bubblehead Forever
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

QT EVERYTHING if ya can, i do fish but atm not coral but i am setting up a QT for coral, I dip,dip then dip. All it takes is one bug on one opiece to mess things up , protect your investment! ...... I dip coral with "Bayer" or Rx, rinse then dip in revive, rinse then into frag rack for at least a week, up to 2 weeks before i place it

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to dipping I almost always replace the plug when I can even if it means losing some encrusting.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revive or Coral RX for new LPS or soft, lugol's or revive for sick or damaged ones. It is a rare that I do a dip and no sort of hitchhikers are found. Have used Bayer, just not that often, have been LUCKY with my SPS purchases, or at least as far as I know.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Bayer. It kills more imo than coral rx & is easier on the corals. I dipped every coral in my tank with the exception of some of the smooth skin acros since they say smooth skins don't handle dips as well. Most corals don't seem bothered by Bayer, & usually even still show polyp extension right through the dip.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna know who convinced someone to put their coral in pesticide and then managed to have it become the status quo.

Anyone know where this came from? Who originated it ? Just curious lol

JerSaint

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had read countless threads on it before trying. It's not that different than a "dip" for coral. They are both targeted at killing pests.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back