Coral Dipping

KRAZE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanna know who convinced someone to put their coral in pesticide and then managed to have it become the status quo.

Anyone know where this came from? Who originated it ? Just curious lol

Who thought to put medication for dogs (interceptor) in a reef tank to kill redbugs? lol Its just trial and error until ya find something that works and doesn't kill coral. And yes, like JerSaint said, its targeted at killing insects around your house, which really arent all that much different then the under water bugs we dont want! I guess its like anything tho, how many plants did humans burn before the realized one made them feel pretty good when they breathed in the smoke?! hahaha

As for dip, I use bayer for sps and anything else I suspect might have bugs, coralRX on lps & polyps, and I use Revive after fragging all coral before putting it back in the tank.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer > CoralRX
Coral RX does not kill red bugs Bayer does.
As mentioned in a post above dipping is not a substitute for proper QT. In my opinion QT of corals is far more important than QT of fish if you were forced to choose.
Learn from my mistakes.
Here's some things I've got in my tank over the last year and I dipped everything:

Red Planaria.. I've spent about $200 this summer on salt/carbon and 5 boxes Flatworm exit.. and they are still there. I'm about to drop another couple hundred.
Red bugs. I think I got rid of them but I've spent some money. Set my growth back months.
Bubble algae--impossible to get rid of. If I didn't have a Naso it would take over.
Cotton candy algae<--taking over my refugium. Perfectly happy in low nutrient system.
Vermitid snails.. My biggest thorn right now.
Digitate hydroids
Colonial hydroids. I've heard both these hydroids can burn corals but I haven't noticed any ill effects yet.
Caterpillar algae. I got rid of it months ago but I still get an occasional shoot starting to grow.
Blue Clove polyps. <--really annoying me right now.

Do a lot of QT observing at night some of these don't come out until lights are out for a while. Also some things can take months to show up.

Last edited:

ajskennes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i use Bayer at 10ml to 4oz of SW then quarantine for 4-6 weeks with bayer dips every 7 days

av8, best thing i found for red planaria is a spotted mandarin goby some call it a target goby, I too spent hundreds on salt, carbon and FW exit ( BTW FW exit is just a liquid form of levamisole) it hardly put a dent in them, i found on google one day someone mentioned that a spotted mandarin would eat the crap out of them so at $25 a pop i bought one for my display, sump, and frag tank, a month later not one in sight and still after a year or so later i haven't seen one, if you don't have a healthy and growing population of pods id advise you to watch carefully to make sure you don't starve the fish tho, the one in my frag tank starved so ofter the FW are gone either keep adding pods, or pass it to someone else to use.
Good luck and Happy reefing

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.. Yeah , I've heard that. I'm afraid to get one as I already have a Green mandarin and Melanurus.
I did 5 weekly treatments of FWE and thought I had them beat. Obviously I didn't beat the egg life cycle so I'm about to try again with 8 weeks of treatment. I've been reading about using levamisole but I'm chicken I'll put too much. :)

Youri.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use Coral RX Pro. Really effective.
Used it on my Goniopora recently.

[video=youtube_share;Q3-6VDAnH8w]http://youtu.be/Q3-6VDAnH8w[/video]

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was a crazy video! What was that coming out?

Youri.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was a crazy video! What was that coming out?
Heey Bryan!
That was a little red Goniopora. At daytime there was nothing wrong with it (or so it seemd). At night I saw two grey 'things' as you can see when I filmed the coral above the water. They did not seem to move and I thought they were tissue that was partially still blown up at night. However when at daytime I examined the Gonio better, I saw a really recognisable form of flatworms. De transparent ones with the line across the middle. I figures I gave it a dip. But was shocked how many flatworms were on this little Gonio.they big grey ones I had never seen before and did not think of them as flatworms when I saw one at night.
Lucky they didn't do any damage and I was able to intervene!

Best regards,
Youri

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416830306183.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416830306183.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 217
OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is truly an awesome video! Reminds me of the gall crab I pulled out of one of my open brains!

So as far as dipping goes are there certain corals you always dip and certain ones dipping is not recommended? I was considering making a chart that we could sticky. I've only used iodine to dip and some of the corals seemed to take on the iodine color or not do well while others were fine. I'm thinking of doing some research as to the differences between the many dips like coral rx, coral rx pro, reef dip, Bayer, revive. Maybe it is best to find the ones that are different and dip the coral in each one to gain the most benefit. It seems like everything else in this hobby..there is no conclusive answer and you have to do what works best for you.

As far as Bayer goes is this something I could get at Home Depot or Walmart and how do I know I am buying the right stuff? Also why the varying ranges of concentrations and time?

I'm a math engineering brain so I always want to find the definitive answer. Is it A or B? I want a clear cut answer and not a grey area like usually A but sometimes B. It's definitely taking used to that in this hobby there are no clear cut answers, it's all personal preference and personal experience. But I want to learn as much as I can and hopefully someday leave a mark on the hobby for helping to move the hobby forward even if only a small step!

drsalomon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am confused. Conflicting reports online whether coralrx kills red bugs. Mfg website says not tested. Some says it does. Anybody have evidence one way or other

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Brown biology professor confused? Now that can't happen too often Art!

drsalomon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually professors make up half what they say. It is all about speaking confidently while guessing. [emoji2]

choff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I am confused. Conflicting reports online whether coralrx kills red bugs. Mfg website says not tested. Some says it does. Anybody have evidence one way or other

I thought it killed the bugs, not the eggs? I have no actual experience, just what I've read.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back