OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, you may or may not need dosing. You will need to test weekly to understand what the tank needs.

Small bio/coral load tanks may only need routine water changed to keep things in check, but as others have stated the tank will get to a point when that is not adequate on its own. The way to know is by continued testing.

For instance, I have a low demand system and I only need to dose alkalinity and calcium. I confirm my dosing schedule each week when I test parameters. If alkalinity is lower than the week before then I bump my dosing up to accommodate the consumption in the tank
ok, could u link some good dosing things(under 30$, preferably under 20$ plz)and some good test kits for those thats not 60$ for all 3

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? Your tank thread shows a bunch of sps, mainly acropora.

Assuming the tank isn’t brand new, and you’re set on trying acropora in this tank, you mainly just need to focus on lighting, flow, and water chemistry stability.

The k7 mini is plenty of light. For flow, the return pump would be enough for LPS and softies probably, but for acros you’re going to need a powerhead to create lots of “random” flow. Possibly 2 to get the flow pattern you want.

With sps and acros, it’s less about foods (ie. You don’t need coral foods), and more about water chemistry. Keeping your alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium at stable levels. To start, water changes might be enough, but eventually you’ll need to start dosing. The easiest and most inexpensive way is to add kalkwasser with occasional magnesium supplements. Eventually, kalk won’t be able to keep up with the demand. But by that point, you’re doing a lot of things really right, and won’t be referencing my little comment here :).
lol this is the most helpful comment here(no bias, and just provided a lot on the food and supplements, everybody else is really helpful too!!! :))

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
for dosing, don't I also need magnesium? or does that have It all?(can u also explain to me what kalkwasser is/does? the internet won't tell me in simple terms)
Kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide. It is a powder that you dissolve in rodi water. It provides small amounts of alkalinity and calcium.

It doesnt include magnesium. But magnesium is barely used compared to alkalinity and calcium. So water changes might be enough.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalkwasser is calcium hydroxide. It is a powder that you dissolve in rodi water. It provides small amounts of alkalinity and calcium.

It doesnt include magnesium. But magnesium is barely used compared to alkalinity and calcium. So water changes might be enough.
ok, will I ever need magnesium? and can u link some good kalkwasser for gonis, acros, montis and a rock flower?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let's slow down for a minute. I know you were specifically asking for food/dosing, but I want to make sure I understand your current system, before going too far into suggestions. Did you start the tank with "dry rock" or live rock from an established tank 4 weeks ago? What are your current ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels? Have you done any water changes since you started the tank? If so, when and what percentage of tank volume was changed?

the tank thread was just newly posted because I didn't make one, the tank is 4 weeks old, cycled for 1 week with 3 times the recommended amount of turbostart 900 bacteria, and I have both those test kits, kinda annoying how the Red Sea reef kits are 60$ for 3 things, whereas the one with 6 things is the same price :(

Test kits vary on price and while some may vary for marketing/commercial reasons. Most are slightly more expensive due to the reliability, accuracy, and ease of use. You also need to look into the number of tests you get out of each test kit. Most will give ~25, but this varies from kit to kit as well.

ok, could u link some good dosing things(under 30$, preferably under 20$ plz)and some good test kits for those thats not 60$ for all 3
If you need to dose for alkalinity and calcium, I dose Randy's 2-part for price and ease of use. It's diy so there is some preparation work that goes into it, give the following article a read (Recipe 1 is what I use, specifically). You need to buy food grade calcium chloride and then use soda ash (baking soda thats been baked in the oven).

Salifert test kits are decent price and provide anywhere from 50 tests to 200 (alkalinity - have not used personally, but I've used their Mg, Ca, and Nitrate). Just look around bulkreefsupply.com and Saltwateraquarium.com for other test kits if these don't work for you. No reason to bundle by brand, unless you want to.

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ok, will I ever need magnesium? and can u link some good kalkwasser for gonis, acros, montis and a rock flower?
Hard to say without testing. Definitely nothing you need day 1. Same with Kalk. You won’t need it until corals settle in and start actually consuming alk and calcium.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, let's slow down for a minute. I know you were specifically asking for food/dosing, but I want to make sure I understand your current system, before going too far into suggestions. Did you start the tank with "dry rock" or live rock from an established tank 4 weeks ago? What are your current ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels? Have you done any water changes since you started the tank? If so, when and what percentage of tank volume was changed?

Test kits vary on price and while some may vary for marketing/commercial reasons. Most are slightly more expensive due to the reliability, accuracy, and ease of use. You also need to look into the number of tests you get out of each test kit. Most will give ~25, but this varies from kit to kit as well.

If you need to dose for alkalinity and calcium, I dose Randy's 2-part for price and ease of use. It's diy so there is some preparation work that goes into it, give the following article a read (Recipe 1 is what I use, specifically). You need to buy food grade calcium chloride and then use soda ash (baking soda thats been baked in the oven).

Salifert test kits are decent price and provide anywhere from 50 tests to 200 (alkalinity - have not used personally, but I've used their Mg, Ca, and Nitrate). Just look around bulkreefsupply.com and Saltwateraquarium.com for other test kits if these don't work for you. No reason to bundle by brand, unless you want to.

Dry, 0.05, around 3-7, 0.03, (in order) yesterday ~10-20%(doing a 40% change today_ and thanks!

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to say without testing. Definitely nothing you need day 1. Same with Kalk. You won’t need it until corals settle in and start actually consuming alk and calcium.

how long would It take until I need magnesium?(and thanks :))

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long would It take until I need magnesium?(and thanks :))
Testing will tell you when you need to do any dosing.

Specifically with magnesium, if you read the thread about the RMM it goes into more detail

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dry, 0.05, around 3-7, 0.03, (in order) yesterday ~10-20%(doing a 40% change today_ and thanks!
Please read the top sticky thread in this forum regarding cycling.

If I were you, I would not do the 40% water change today as you are still mid cycle based on your values

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read the top sticky thread in this forum regarding cycling.

If I were you, I would not do the 40% water change today as you are still mid cycle based on your values
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppssssssss then becuase last week I had to move my tank and got rid of 50-70% of the water............ is that fine?(I put salwatered ro water back in)

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppssssssss then becuase last week I had to move my tank and got rid of 50-70% of the water............ is that fine?(I put salwatered ro water back in)
Don't worry about what you did last week with the water change.

Just focus on where you are and what you can do going forward. Starting with completing your cycle. You need ammonia to get to 0 and have measurable nitrates. Then dose ammonia and see it reduce to 0 within 24hrs. Then water changes to get nitrates down.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly fine. Once you get more experience though, you may find yourself a bit more particular with your target parameters and could consider switching to a salt with parameters that closely match your own ideals. If it's still IO, all the better.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 56 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back