coral equipment

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing wrong with instant ocean. It is by far one of the most popular in the hobby and probably the most cost effective. It is more than good enough!

I ended up switching to Red Sea Blue Bucket for the reason @Cell mentioned regarding parameters.

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just to clarify, I need kalkwasser and a calcium/alkalinity test? any more things I should buy?(somebody said a nano pump, could u link a cheap but good one plz)

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just to clarify, I need kalkwasser and a calcium/alkalinity test?
Definitely need alkalinity and calcium test

You do not need kalkwasser for a tank as young as yours. Kalkwasser is merely just one of many methods to dose for consumed alkalinity and calcium.

Using the alkalinity and calcium test kits routinely will tell you when (if at all) you need to dose

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need alkalinity and calcium test

You do not need kalkwasser for a tank as young as yours. Kalkwasser is merely just one of many methods to dose for consumed alkalinity and calcium.

Using the alkalinity and calcium test kits routinely will tell you when (if at all) you need to dose
ok, thanks! and what would be some good food?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, what do I need for corals(I already have a tank with a clown, look at my tank thread for more details), like dosing, food, more, I bought a k7mini. so ye

thanks,
stewy
With SPS, light and water flow are the focus for many, followed by dosing (doser) and elements for dosing such as Ak and calcium, trace elements and amino acid and for myself. . . skimmer and algae scrubber

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With SPS, light and water flow are the focus for many, followed by dosing (doser) and elements for dosing such as Ak and calcium, trace elements and amino acid and for myself. . . skimmer and algae scrubber
could
u
link
plz
please, for all those things.(the skimmer, dosing, trace elements)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
could
u
link
plz
please, for all those things.(the skimmer, dosing, trace elements)
Skimmer- Ice caps units very reliable and low cost - CoralVue.com

Doser: Apex DOS, Jebao Doser or Bubble Magnus

Trace elements: Aquaforest , Kent or brightwell Products

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer- Ice caps units very reliable and low cost - CoralVue.com

Doser: Apex DOS, Jebao Doser or Bubble Magnus

Trace elements: Aquaforest , Kent or brightwell Products
THE SKIMMER IS 100 Bucksksfbdshhfiijoahaaaaaaaaaah, wait, why do I need a loser for a 11.3? and a skimmer too? I have a sump already.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
THE SKIMMER IS 100 Bucksksfbdshhfiijoahaaaaaaaaaah, wait, why do I need a loser for a 11.3? and a skimmer too? I have a sump already.
Never said you need these - question was what are equipment used/needed for SPS coral.
Skimmer yes- removes inorganics from tank. This size tank can be Manually dosed and Trace elements if you change water regularly are being restored

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped reading in beginning of page 2. My best advice on what you need is do alot more research about the corals you want and their requirements. If you never kept coral before, acropora may not be the best place to start. Don't kill the acros to find out what you should have read..

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped reading in beginning of page 2. My best advice on what you need is do alot more research about the corals you want and their requirements. If you never kept coral before, acropora may not be the best place to start. Don't kill the acros to find out what you should have read..
there are too many articles lol, sorry, but do u know any good ones?

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them! There's always more to learn. Most sources are biased one way or another, your best bet its to hear all "sides" and make your best decision and try different things. Crunch that with your experiences and your well on your way. I'm just saying, acros are the easiest to kill, starting there may end in alot of disappointment... get some LPS going good and catch the bug, then put your house on it

OP
OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of them! There's always more to learn. Most sources are biased one way or another, your best bet its to hear all "sides" and make your best decision and try different things. Crunch that with your experiences and your well on your way. I'm just saying, acros are the easiest to kill, starting there may end in alot of disappointment... get some LPS going good and catch the bug, then put your house on it
I already ordered the sps lol, imma ask if I can just do multiple pickups, but aren't acros just do water maintenance like twice a week and buy a small wavemaker?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This is an 11G AIO @vetteguy53081 FYI
Yes, tiny tank. As mentioned. . .. I answered in general but in his case- will be manually controlled- Skimmer maybe but manual dosing and traces via water changes

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I already ordered the sps lol, imma ask if I can just do multiple pickups, but aren't acros just do water maintenance like twice a week and buy a small wavemaker?
Let test kits tell you when water changes are needed. You dont want to chase or target numbers but try to be in range of :
alk: 8.0 - 11
Calcium: 400 - 450
Magnesium: 1300 - 1350
Iodide: Maintained via regular water changes or manually at small dosages
Temperature: 78-79 degrees
pH: 8.1-8.3
Phosphates: .05 - .08
Nitrates < 10-15

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So multiple pickups won't help unless you pick those acros up months from now which is unlikely.

Typically the EASIEST corals are not recommended in new tanks until the tank is 3 months old AFTER the cycle is complete. Thid is for even the most seasoned reefer (obviously there are exceptions). More challenging corals like acros and some LPS can take a tank up to 6 months to be ready. Corals need stability in the tank. Just relying on water changes and a wavemaker is not enough and you will surely kill your corals with that mentality. Some may last longer than others, but in the end a lack of understanding of their needs will result in the same outcome for all of them.

You have a mix of mushrooms, LPS, and SPS already ordered. Got it. What you NEED to do in order to give them the best chance is go read the stickied threads on the top of the coral forums for each type for BASIC understanding of needs. Then search for the SPECIFIC types that you are getting. Certain SPS are easier than others and some LPS are harder than some SPS. All like different flow, lighting, etc.

Also, go to the Bulk Reef Supply youtubr channel and watch their beginner videos for reef tanks. And keep watching. They have a HUGE wealth of information that goes back as far as 7-8 years. Don't skip them because they're old.

TehBrainz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mean for my post to be harsh, but you obviously have started some research, but have jumped in too quick (not too late for correction)

You just need to finish your research and learning to get going successfully

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back