Coral Farm advise

Mark Gray

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is maybe give Dr Mac a call and talk with hime I will give you his shop web site. He has set up countless farms.

I know up in Maryland they are using sunlight for a lot of their stuff. they probably get more sun than you will in Seattle though.

BoxKing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO you need way more working capital than 15K... heck Im almost at 5K on my RSR XL200.

Before you do anything, get your business permits, and location where you plan to propagate all locked down... no clue how you can figure everything else out until you build this foundation first... till then, you're a drunkin reefer with a pipe dream! Sounds like you'd be better off working in your basement, and having this as a side hustle.

Also.... live sand... really? You would be out competed by the name brands out there, and other LFS. As far as Live Rock.. once again, this seems to be a fail, as most setups these days are following a dry rock start up method, with far cheaper costs.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool idea and definitely wish you the best!

We are local and visit the 4 main shops in the area weekly. We would love and I'm sure others in the area would love another place to go.

Unrivaled reef also just opened in your area about of his house.

Mid level lps and a few higher end shrooms.

Then move to torches and nems possibly.

Keep people interested with live sales and if you have an Instagram, definitely get on theor to get your name out there.

1 year of capital should be good....

DanConnor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a couple of 8 foot frag trays and put them in your basement. Use cheap hydroponic 8 bulb T5 fixtures. And start culturing.

Start selling at any frag swaps within an 8 hour drive, and online. Excess frags take to LFSs and sell at wholesale rates.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems the budget is too tight to consider a large scale adventure. Heck $3-4k could be easily consumed per year in electric alone with a bunch of tanks and heaters. Don't forget the electrical upgrades needed as most current setups cannot handle that current draw on the system / breakers as is safely. Start small with a couple basement tanks to get your feet wet.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back