Coral feeding in QT

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just quarantined my first batch of corals which are almost all LPS and I'm curious about feeding.

The tank is running without fishes or any inverts, so I'm not feeding anything in the tank. I was wondering about nutrients for the corals. Turn off the return and throw in some reef roids once a week maybe?

There is a handful of Marinepure balls from my display in the tank for bio filtering so feeding should be okay.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup; that's basically what I do. Coral food options abound and work really well during coral QT. I try to add in whatever the manufacturer suggests.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup; that's basically what I do. Coral food options abound and work really well during coral QT. I try to add in whatever the manufacturer suggests.

Sounds like a plan. I'd imagine a weekly water change won't hurt either? I was debating adding some display tank water during the change.

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly water change is likely fine, yeah. LPS don't uptake trace elements all that much, so you could likely even get by without them if needed. I'd do them as a "just in case" measure, however (it's possible for coral to release toxins that you don't want building up, for example).

I have an "absolutely no mixing" policy any time I'm working a QT process. While it's likely just fine to add DT water into your QT (many people seed their QT with DT water, for example), I don't do it myself. All it takes is one mental slip and I may end up adding QT water to my DT instead, and then there's crying and frustration. So I keep the two totally apart - even labeling my tools with "QT ONLY" and "DT ONLY".

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back