Coral frags with fish parasites (ich) how likely?

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are everyone’s thoughts on frags carrying fish parasites such as ich? Yes, I know they can’t host but could possibly carry eggs. I’m currently stocking fish exclusively from a quarantine LFS because I don’t have a quarantine setup. Of course the best method with be to dip all new frags and quarantine, but not feasible for me. Am I basically negating buying quarantined fish by risking non-quarantined frags? Or is the risk minimal? I could exclusively buy from my LFS but there are so many options out there for buying coral (WWC comes to mind), and I don’t want to miss out on some great frags. Thoughts?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So what are everyone’s thoughts on frags carrying fish parasites such as ich? Yes, I know they can’t host but could possibly carry eggs. I’m currently stocking fish exclusively from a quarantine LFS because I don’t have a quarantine setup. Of course the best method with be to dip all new frags and quarantine, but not feasible for me. Am I basically negating buying quarantined fish by risking non-quarantined frags? Or is the risk minimal? I could exclusively buy from my LFS but there are so many options out there for buying coral (WWC comes to mind), and I don’t want to miss out on some great frags. Thoughts?
While there is a potential, this is the power of quarantine for your fish to eliminate the chance of protozoan transfer. Even with quarantined fish, you want to quarantine for 14-21 days and assume fish has something. Quarantine reduces chances of fish being infected but does not disqualify the fish from getting ill

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While there is a potential, this is the power of quarantine for your fish to eliminate the chance of protozoan transfer. Even with quarantined fish, you want to quarantine for 14-21 days and assume fish has something. Quarantine reduces chances of fish being infected but does not disqualify the fish from getting ill
Huh? How does quarantining a fish for 14-21 days prevent a coral frag from bringing ich into the tank??

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many coral sellers grow their frags in fishless systems... you might ask those you buy from if the frags were ever exposed. If they were never with fish, they shouldn't have ich.
I wouldn’t have thought of this. Great suggestion.
I’ve had concerns with snails, hermits, shrimp for the same issue OP is bringing up. Seems like a small amount of water Could have some parasite/pathogen. But it feels extreme to isolate a hermit for weeks and weeks to be sure.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not worry much about frags carrying ich, but they can carry other pests and without observing them in separate tank for few weeks, even dipping will not help much and may bring you some unwanted pests to your DT.
See my thread below:

OP
OP
MVsea1

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t have thought of this. Great suggestion.
I’ve had concerns with snails, hermits, shrimp for the same issue OP is bringing up. Seems like a small amount of water Could have some parasite/pathogen. But it feels extreme to isolate a hermit for weeks and weeks to be sure.
Exactly, this is my dilemma. Is it really that much of a risk and worth the effort for snails, frags, etc. I’m thinking most people don’t put much thought into this..but I’m going through the effort to make sure my fish are coming in clean. Would hate to compromise that for something silly like bringing in a frag that could possibly have a fish disease. I guess my question is…is this super low risk and I’m overthinking it? Or should I be super picky about the frags I bring in. Either way I plan to dip all frags coming in regardless of source. (But I know that won’t eliminate risk of fish disease like ich for example)

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
…Scratches head, goes back to football…

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, this is my dilemma. Is it really that much of a risk and worth the effort for snails, frags, etc. I’m thinking most people don’t put much thought into this..but I’m going through the effort to make sure my fish are coming in clean. Would hate to compromise that for something silly like bringing in a frag that could possibly have a fish disease. I guess my question is…is this super low risk and I’m overthinking it? Or should I be super picky about the frags I bring in. Either way I plan to dip all frags coming in regardless of source. (But I know that won’t eliminate risk of fish disease like ich for example)
You are not overthinking it; it’s funny to me when someone QTs their fish but then just pop & drops their clean up crew.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As the others said, corals from fishless systems have a very low chance of bringing fish diseases into your tank. However, I've seen more than one LFS that uses their coral system sumps as sort of a holding spot for sick fish. Their idea is to put sick fish there in the vain hope that the better water quality of the coral rack will save them. Actually, all they do is create "Typhoid Mary" corals that go out and infect customers tanks!
Of course, the corals may also bring in coral pests/diseases.

It all boils down to biosecurity:

Jay

OP
OP
MVsea1

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As the others said, corals from fishless systems have a very low chance of bringing fish diseases into your tank. However, I've seen more than one LFS that uses their coral system sumps as sort of a holding spot for sick fish. Their idea is to put sick fish there in the vain hope that the better water quality of the coral rack will save them. Actually, all they do is create "Typhoid Mary" corals that go out and infect customers tanks!
Of course, the corals may also bring in coral pests/diseases.

It all boils down to biosecurity:

Jay
Great article, thank you Jay

Stealthreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perspective:
Everything had cysts on it that could potentially turn into a bad thing for my fish.
My job is to keep their health and immune systems working to keep any illnesses from becoming a problem. I worry about proactive fish health, not counting on purchases being sterile.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody can answer that

It's an all or nothing choice

You're either choosing complete fallow of all entrants or you're choosing risk, nobody can define the %

Its a matter of will cut corners and hope for best vs not

OP
OP
MVsea1

MVsea1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My perspective:
Everything had cysts on it that could potentially turn into a bad thing for my fish.
My job is to keep their health and immune systems working to keep any illnesses from becoming a problem. I worry about proactive fish health, not counting on purchases being sterile.
Yeah I hear you. I struggled with the decision when I was first starting my tank if I was going to go the disease management route or full on quarantine procedures for everything. It does help that I have a great LFS that does full quarantine for everything (humblefish method), so taking advantage of that was a no brainer. But I am limited to the selection of coral they have at the shop which is why I asked the question and was tempted by online coral retailers like WWC, tidal gardens, etc. Seems like it’s low risk for fish diseases but I’m thinking if I’ve come this far I’ll stay strong.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back