CORAL GLUE: What do you want out of coral glue?

How do you like your coral glue?

• Thick

Votes: 371 86.7%
  • Somewhere between thck and thin..

Votes: 54 12.6%
  • Thin

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

drblakjak55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buckster. When done wipe the tip off, top on tight, leave upside down. Some say store in freezer. I don’t.Gorilla GEL ok price for volume. Loctite great but costs.

Twenty second bubble forms outside tank than mash it into rock so you SEE glue stuck on rock you scraped up a bit before. Than ten second hold in place if you know your fingers are free. Thirty if not.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using Glue Masters for a while. Use it for frags, used it for rockwork aquascaping. Holds strong. I would like to use the thickest kind they make but this bottle has lasted me a very long time and the price is awesome for such a large amount. It also is made with the least impurities.
20201229_164608.jpg

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been using IC-Gel for years. It doesn't clog and it is very thick. You can literally take your fingernail, scrap off the dried layer and start using it again after its been sitting for days or weeks. All the store brand glues we have tried in the past would never past the scratch and use test for us. I'm not saying there isn't something better but this is our go to glue for 10+ years. https://www.aquariumspecialty.com/c...nd-supplies/glue-epoxy.html?manufacturer=6963

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I feel like i want to say cures fast and thick, so sps that aren't cut perfectly or on angles can sit rapidly, but at the same time I know there will be moments where I get glue somewhere I don't want and ill be praying that it hasn't dried yet

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im not asking much. I just want a glue that will grab and hold frag quickly without making a mess

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the thick glue I use is that after one use and putting the cap back on it hardened. I poked the end with a toothpick and was able to use it a second time. The third time I had to drill the end and was successful but my drill bit got glue on it. The last time I used the glue I had to put a hole in the side on the tube to get the glue out. Four uses from the one tube. Does anyone else have this problem?

Next time, rather than drilling it out - take a pair of pliers and squeeze the end of the tube with a few times from different sides. You should be able to pull the dried up parts out easily and it will be like new.

Provided the end cap is bigger anyway. That's what I do with the BRS bottle caps and it works great.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

blue.flyzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glue tip....store your glue in the fridge, I find bottles clog less when kept cold

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a glue that is so thick that when you squeeze it out it stays in a nice “gob” ready to attach the frag. But I wondering about what you guys like so let's talk about it!

What do you want out of coral glue?

I just picked up a bottle of this glue from our new sponsor @Glue Masters to give it a shot! I will report back!

1609206914074.png
Just pick this up today. 295 grams. With some fish and corals

Attachments

• IMG_20201229_143201306.jpg
    IMG_20201229_143201306.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 14

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow im Shocked that someone voted for “thin” glue in the poll! the thicker the better IMO but what’s super important to me as well as how long it takes to set and strangely enough the fastest setting glue I’ve come across hands down is the dollar store brand cyano gel although there are some brands I’ve not tried but out of the many that I have I go with the dollar store stuff
Depends on what you're doing. I definitely prefer the thick super glue/ epoxy sandwich for frags, but when I'm gluing rocks together, the thin stuff works better because you can hit the rocks with accelerator, stick them together, and then just pour the stuff in.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additional question, is insta-set reef safe? Love that stuff to death.

BRS extra thick is the best I have tried. Love it.

I asked the same question a while back and was told "Yes" it is safe to use. In BRS's recent videos about Negative Space Aquascape creation they mentioned using it a LOT.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using what ?

Now that I think about it, I think I started using this before I started Aquarium Specialty. We just had our 15 year anniversary back in Sept. The formula is great. Thanks for your support!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a great poll and super excited by the outcome. I use cheap-o-gel superglue. I have more problems with getting my fingers glued together than corals not staying put.

Mike Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consistency has gotta be thick for me, but it also has to stick, so sick of re-gluing frags after Mr Urchin bowls them outta the way.
My question in regards to gluing is do you apply the glue the the object out of the water or while it is underwater?
Seems to me that being able to apply the glue underwater makes for better placement of the object but I'm not sure if this will harm the fish or corals.
I'm just new to the art of gluing successfully so any advice would be welcome.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back