CORAL GLUE: What do you want out of coral glue?

How do you like your coral glue?

• Thick

Votes: 371 86.7%
  • Somewhere between thck and thin..

Votes: 54 12.6%
  • Thin

Votes: 3 0.7%

• Total voters

Buckster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buckster. When done wipe the tip off, top on tight, leave upside down. Some say store in freezer. I don’t.Gorilla GEL ok price for volume. Loctite great but costs.

Twenty second bubble forms outside tank than mash it into rock so you SEE glue stuck on rock you scraped up a bit before. Than ten second hold in place if you know your fingers are free. Thirty if not.
Will try harder next time but the narrowness of the small tube tip that I use may be more prone to clogging. I'm seeing the size of some of these bottles that have a larger opening and I'm sure they are less susceptible to clogging.

reeffreak911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a glue that is so thick that when you squeeze it out it stays in a nice “gob” ready to attach the frag. But I wondering about what you guys like so let's talk about it!

What do you want out of coral glue?

I just picked up a bottle of this glue from our new sponsor @Glue Masters to give it a shot! I will report back!

1609206914074.png
The glue that I've seen even reef stores use the dollar tree glue its actually better then the glue at reef stores and way cheaper

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I have used many types of glue. From stuff at hardware store to cheapo stuff, to specialty products for reefs, epoxy, two parts, goodness and some I probably forgot.

I have found this.... I will get my fingers stuck together no matter what I use. Gloves stuck on plugs, lips stuck together, glue everywhere. I guess it is just me. :)

However, through these mishaps, I have found the thick glues, like gel consistency nice for my clumsiness. This for doing frags onto rocks or plugs. However, I have thought of a really cool idea now that I have tried the Gluemaster thin on doing some rockwork.

By the way, this with fine sand method is amazing. Instant bond and very secure. Even though I did have to scrub some glove off the rock afterwards. I did not have thick gloves. USE thick gloves. :)

I would use the thick to make the main stick of the frag. Then, if it is on rock, I would pour a bit of the gluemaster thin around the frag and gel bubble. This should make an instant and strong bond. Now, I would not do this on zoas as the stuff could just run all over the poor thing. But with any lps or some sps, I would try it. Even throw a bit of sand in there and seal if it is permanent placement in tank and not a plug.
Just thinking out loud...

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since I ran out of the BRS glue I started using gorilla glue with the green cap. (They seem identical to me) I can spend about $7 and it lasts for months. When I run out or it gunks up, its no big loss and I can get more 5 minutes down the road!

RalphTech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use thin CYA and bond it Instantly with a UV pen light. Thin allows me to position the drag before it's permanent.
16092941160287102186451420244398.jpg

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What 2 part do you use, madweazl? I'm have a collection of all of the above and am not having much luck attaching to my very porous, uneven surfaced rock.

Pretty much all been the same for me. Instant Ocean is fine but DD Aquascape has been my favorite.

JeannieS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyplab has the best glue IMO. Thick and cures super fast, no effect on skimmer in my experience, comes in small tubes that will glue about 5-10 frags for me. I’ve used the ecotech glue and it worked but not nearly as well. The individual tubes of the polyplab is really a huge bonus, how many times do you mess with an old bottle?
I completely agree on the polyplab. Great glue in individual tubes.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question in regards to gluing is do you apply the glue the the object out of the water or while it is underwater?
Seems to me that being able to apply the glue underwater makes for better placement of the object but I'm not sure if this will harm the fish or corals.
I'm just new to the art of gluing successfully so any advice would be welcome.
You can do either, but if gluing under water you have to be careful you don't suck water up into the glue tube.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do either, but if gluing under water you have to be careful you don't suck water up into the glue tube.
Yes this is a very good quality glue. Just don't get it on your fingers. It binds like crazy which is a good thing but it's probably the most difficult cyanoacrylate based adhesive to get off your fingers.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I want out of a glue?

I'd like to find one at less than 12 cents per gram. Anyone know of one?

Cyanoacrylate gel is a commodity, price is pretty much all that matters IMO

4tanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with the thick glue I use is that after one use and putting the cap back on it hardened. I poked the end with a toothpick and was able to use it a second time. The third time I had to drill the end and was successful but my drill bit got glue on it. The last time I used the glue I had to put a hole in the side on the tube to get the glue out. Four uses from the one tube. Does anyone else have this problem?
The trick is if you use it in the tank when you squeeze it don't let it unsqueeze in the tank as it sucks in water that's what makes it go funny

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I want out of a glue?

I'd like to find one at less than 12 cents per gram. Anyone know of one?

Cyanoacrylate gel is a commodity, price is pretty much all that matters IMO
The formulation varies dramatically from brand to brand and formula to formula. Buy a few different brands and types and you shall see differences. Put some polyp lab glue on your fingers and compare it to IC-Gel from Bob Smith. Both are super glue gels but they are vastly different when they dry.

cjb428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever tried this stuff before?

Attachments

• A8A21A17-99BD-4C4D-B140-86BE8783C77C.png
    A8A21A17-99BD-4C4D-B140-86BE8783C77C.png
    338.5 KB · Views: 30

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only used the dollar store stuff in the green and white tubes and gorilla glue. Both have worked fine for me but all my frags and corals are small and I have no crabs or urchins.

I was recently given a few new reef glue products but haven't tried any yet.

No clue how to use the AquaVitro Bond product though.... It's a bunch of tiny pebbles... what the heck?

Attachments

• 20210102_114203.jpg
    20210102_114203.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 13

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 27 30.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back