Coral Growing w only Key Fish?

WhisperRayne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I’m not super new to the hobby but new as I’m the only one taking care of the tank. (I kept fish growing up but my parents cared for the tank.) I currently only have freshwater but want to get into salt. I’m moving states soon and wanted to start growing my corals for the tank. I was wondering if 1. it’s possible in a 30g, 2. it’s safe for a move from central AZ to northern Utah, and finally 3. if it’s possible for a 100% salt beginner to be successful with growing their corals before setting up their reef tank. I will also have key fish in the tank. Clean up, clowns, etc. (please open opinions with this as well!)

My reasoning for doing this is I don’t want to invest thousands before I move (in a year and a half) and risk losing all of my fish. So I thought I could grow my corals and then start my tank after they’ve grown.

Please help! I’m very open to opinions, ideas, and want to learn as much as possible before putting fish lives and coral lives at stake. Thanks so much!

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!

It is possible to have a reef tank in anything. Some people have tanks as small as 1 or 2 gallons (no fish, obviously). But most have between 10 to 40 gallons, when talking about Nano Reef Tanks.

Not sure about the move, as the furthest I have moved is about a 15 minute drive away from where I was living previously. But most of us here on R2R get shipments of coral and fish from across the country with only minimal losses, but of cousre those are from companies we order from. Not sure I have seen much about people moving between states and taking all of their livestock with them. Someone on #reefsquad could probably answer that for you.

Personally, I would wait until you get where you are going to setup the tank. Corals can be really sensitive to sudden and extreme changes, and they take time to grow. So if you are moving "soon" even if it is not for a few more months, if they aren't in a fully stabilized and established system, they probably would not grow much at all in that time, depending on what corals you have.

So maybe just wait until you move to set it up. You can probably start shopping for equipment, and then once you are in your new place you can set it up and start cycling your tank. Then once it is cycled, as most of us will tell you, take it slow. Do not overload the your tank with alot of livestock all at once, as you need your biological filtration (ie. bacteria) to adjust properly to increased bioloads.

Just my opinion though.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost forgot...
giphy.gif

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!
Welcome 1.jpg

You have asked some good questions and it shows that you are thinking ahead, both good signs.

If I was you, I start shopping and maybe buying things you'll want if you find a good deal. I took 18 moths after I bought a 180g tank to buy all the things I wanted and needed. But I got great deals on used equipment and store close outs and even a raffle at our local aquarium club! I figure I saved 50% or more.

Moving fish and/or coral over that kind of distance can be done, but it's not easy, it's not cheap and it's quite risky. Some corals are rather hardy and could do well like zoas. But stony corals are a lot more fussy and don't do well in any kind of move. And they will be even more at risk waiting at the Utah end for you to get the tank set up and running. You'll be busy unloading a truck or moving furniture or plumbing your new tank.

It would be better to get to Utah, set up the tank while you have time to think about placement, electrical outlets, floor conditions, plumbing the tank, getting an RO/DI system running, and on, and on. Once you are settled in and have taken the time to get your system set up properly, then get it cycled and start adding things to it slowly.

There are very, very few people who have 'jump started' saltwater tanks and been successful. The well worn old saying about reef tanks is, "Nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank!" And it's an old saying for a reason.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I love Utah! I used to be an Alta pass holder. I would set up your thirty to get your feet wet. You can take what you want with you and sell the rest back to the lfs.

Not a bad idea at all. Do something small and when you move, keep the hardward (spare tanks and equipment always come in handy). Sell any livestock, or move it as it wouldn't be a lot. And then start fresh at the other end.

BTW, I was just in Moab, Utah and loved it!
1 DSCN8049 Mesa Arch Panorama R1.jpg

austenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to moving a reef tank across states. But I do know that there are a ton of coral that are great to start with. The main thing with coral is consistence and good lighting. Zoas are a great way to start. There is also tons of threads on here all about lighting and starting new tanks.

OP
OP
WhisperRayne

WhisperRayne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I was you, I start shopping and maybe buying things you'll want if you find a good deal. I took 18 moths after I bought a 180g tank to buy all the things I wanted and needed. But I got great deals on used equipment and store close outs and even a raffle at our local aquarium club! I figure I saved 50% or more.

Thank you! I actually think I just found a 105gal with a skimmer and I’m trying to find the fish I want to start with, the corals etc etc. (I have a whole Google Sheets with every fish haha) to more determine the size. But I really appreciate all of this! Makes me feel a little less weird for not being uncomfortable with an empty tank!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back