Coral ID and care?

boston02122

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 25, 2016
Messages
62
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone I'm not sure what this is or if this is in need of any help. I got this from a friend who needed to break down his tank. Tips are green but base is white. Any suggestions are welcome.

1460027308255.jpg
 
Pocillopora I believe, but one that is showing tissue death. Check you water chemistry values for Ca/Alk and Mag as well as SG. Could also be a Seriatopora hystrix/Birds nest. Same rules for chemistry apply.

If it were mine I would break off/frag the tips with healthy tissue. The areas of white are now just skeleton.

Good Luck.
 
I agree it is probably a pocillapora. If still alive cut those tips off before you lose the entire colony!
 
Pocillopora can be thin like this? I see others but they are much thicker.
 
It may be a birdsnest but care is generally the same. Cut off the largest healthiest piece you can to make a frag and then hope the rest of the colony survives IMO.
 
Perfect will do. Thanks. I did think about doing that but want sure it would come back. I got this in the condition you see. Only change is the green got more vivid.
 
Oh do you think this is bleached and dead at the stem because of the zoa?
 
Most likely not related to Zoas honestly. My Poccillopora was completely surrounded at the base by Zoanthids and they never caused it any harm.
 
Oh good to know. The rock I was given had these zoa on it along what the heck the pocillopora and what appears to be a small toadstool. The toadstool once in a while will show green extension on it not sure if I should get it off. And relocate it
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new