Coral Id help

  • Thread starter Thread starter ID-Reefer
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ID-Reefer

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2020
Messages
456
Reaction score
602
Location
Boise
What state or country do you live in
Idaho
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A local reefer had this in his tank and it was plating out and shading some Acans as he had it half way up in his tank. He broke off a few pieces and basically gave it to me. He didn't know what it was and Im trying to figure it out. Some sort of Monti Im guessing? Has lots of polyp extension. I put the big piece in my tank (about 5" in Dia. with a part growing up). The other pieces I put in my frag tank - they are thick as were more towards the center of the original colony. Attaching a photo of both. Poor picture quality as the big piece is in the back of my tank on the bottom and hard to shoot.

Thanks for ID help.

IMG_5376.jpeg
IMG_5375.jpeg
 
My first guess is hydnopora but I’ve seen it before but not 100% on the name

EDit to correct autocorrect
 
Last edited:
I think I have it figured out... Hydnophora - Horn Coral. I considered that but because it was plating out so much in this other guys tank I thought it might be something else but fairly certain its Hydnophora.
 
Yup just posted same time you did. You have much experience with this? Sounds like it can be fast growing and deadly to anything else.
Yes, I keep some in my mixed reef it is very deadly. It will send out sweepers and consume or destroy coral in close proximity (1 to 3 inches)
Fast growing and relatively easy to keep.
 
Yep, very aggressive so give it plenty of room
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new