Coral ID

coriii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I got this coral as a birthday present but I can't ID it. I'm new to saltwater so I'm still learning.

If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful! Thank you!

20200503_153614.jpg

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday! Theses large polyp stony corals like direct feeding. They like frozen or pellet food. I feed mine every three or four days.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Trachyphillia radiata. Looks very healthy.

BTW, I've got a birthday coming up, lol.

I believe it's accepted species is T. geoffroyi. A while back a revision was made to place radiata back into the genus Wellsophyllia, but may not be accepted at the moment.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, taxonomy as we know is an evolving science so there is bound to be some confusion over time as to an organism's "proper name". For example Aquarium Creations Online lists Wellsophyllia radiata; LiveAquaria shows both T. geoffroyi and T. radiata as different species; Tidal Gardens' website posits that Trachyphyllia and Wellsophyllia have been combined into a single genus at some time in the past. But, here's a video about claimed differences: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...90E86F789050A19D683790E&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

This happens with classifying other organisms, of course, and often seems to reflect how much of a difference between animals the examiner/examining board considers to be significant.

Good thing is that whatever you call it, it requires the same conditions and care.

Good luck, they are great additions to a reef tank IMHO.

OP
OP
coriii

coriii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, taxonomy as we know is an evolving science so there is bound to be some confusion over time as to an organism's "proper name". For example Aquarium Creations Online lists Wellsophyllia radiata; LiveAquaria shows both T. geoffroyi and T. radiata as different species; Tidal Gardens' website posits that Trachyphyllia and Wellsophyllia have been combined into a single genus at some time in the past. But, here's a video about claimed differences: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...90E86F789050A19D683790E&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

This happens with classifying other organisms, of course, and often seems to reflect how much of a difference between animals the examiner/examining board considers to be significant.

Good thing is that whatever you call it, it requires the same conditions and care.

Good luck, they are great additions to a reef tank IMHO.
Thank you for the elaborated explanation! Will treasure these info!!

OP
OP
coriii

coriii

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday! Theses large polyp stony corals like direct feeding. They like frozen or pellet food. I feed mine every three or four days.
Feeding mine brine shrimp every 3 days, also it totally gets crazy when I feed pellets to fish. Amazing coral in my opinion!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back