Coral ID

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi there - does anybody know the name of these guys? It started out as one, and now they are really taking over. I don't mind as they're cool, but I'm just curious what I would call them.

Also - is there a way to get them off the rock? If I did want to remove some?

Thank you.

IMG_5416.jpeg

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there - does anybody know the name of these guys? It started out as one, and now they are really taking over. I don't mind as they're cool, but I'm just curious what I would call them.

Also - is there a way to get them off the rock? If I did want to remove some?

Thank you.

IMG_5416.jpeg
Those look to be ricordea yuma mushrooms. Kudos on your success growing them as some people have issues with these compared to their less temperamental cousins the ricordea florida.

Getting mushrooms off the rock is difficult. You might be able to scrape them off the rock with a razor blade, trying your best to actually get a piece of the rock (or coralline algae) off underneath the foot. Cutting the foot itself could damage/kill the coral.

Or if you can remove the entire rock itself, you could break it apart with hammer and chisel trying to separate the corals onto individual rock fragments.

One thing I like to do is place pieces of rock rubble (or frag plugs) adjacent to these types of corals (and things like zoas, leathers, and other softies) and let them grow onto that rock rubble or frag plug. Then you can just remove that piece and you have a nice frag ready to go.

Occasionally these guys will actually grow onto the sandbed if they run out of room. Then you can pick them up and glue them to something as they'll typically have a small layer of sand attached to their foot.

Hope this helps and congrats again on the success in growing these guys out. I have a very similar morph in my main tank and they've grown like crazy as well!

Mr Cypher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a king Kong yuma have a few myself and they split like crazy lol

OP
OP
bevo5

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Awesome - thanks for the feedback, y'all.

It's a real mystery why some of my corals explode and others don't. THe thread right under this one is my new plate coral just hating life. Meanwhile these things are growing like crazy, and my single BTA has turned into 25.

I'm going to try that trick of putting some rubble loosely glues to the rock around it. That's a fun idea to try and get 'em out without too much damage. Unfortunately that rock isnt' going anywhere.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 84 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back