Coral ID

Kolby’s Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 8, 2019
Messages
186
Reaction score
30
What state or country do you live in
Indiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone tell me what kind of coral these are? I know the pink birdnest but the others I am unsure about. I don’t know if the little green circle is a trumpet? Sorry I know pictures aren’t that great. Any help is greatly appreciated!

35C6779D-8297-4356-83DE-8C3E37C7C7C2.jpeg 204F18B7-63A9-4982-9141-5E17EA866BFA.jpeg A92CB330-9ADF-4E1C-84AC-CEC4160DA8E2.png 4603BD0B-E23A-420E-9271-5A3F8DB2BFA6.png 0138EDB6-3C6F-478F-B617-951006DB2F4D.png
 
Can anyone tell me what kind of coral these are? I know the pink birdnest but the others I am unsure about. I don’t know if the little green circle is a trumpet? Sorry I know pictures aren’t that great. Any help is greatly appreciated!

35C6779D-8297-4356-83DE-8C3E37C7C7C2.jpeg 204F18B7-63A9-4982-9141-5E17EA866BFA.jpeg A92CB330-9ADF-4E1C-84AC-CEC4160DA8E2.png 4603BD0B-E23A-420E-9271-5A3F8DB2BFA6.png 0138EDB6-3C6F-478F-B617-951006DB2F4D.png
First I think is a green pocillopora
Second is a trumpet coral (aka Candy Cane)
Third looks like a blue stag
 
First I think is a green pocillopora
Second is a trumpet coral (aka Candy Cane)
Third looks like a blue stag
I believe you are right on the candy cane, I couldn’t remember but pretty sure that’s what that is and the first one I didn’t know if it was sour apple birdsnest or green pocillapora. The blue stag is a acropora correct?
 
I believe you are right on the candy cane, I couldn’t remember but pretty sure that’s what that is and the first one I didn’t know if it was sour apple birdsnest or green pocillapora. The blue stag is a acropora correct?
That first one will turn into a pest.
Grows fast, and will spawn little ones all over the tank. Hard to get rid of when it does that.
 
That first one will turn into a pest.
Grows fast, and will spawn little ones all over the tank. Hard to get rid of when it does that.
How do you know it will turn into a pest? Is it green pocillapora?
 
If that is pocillapora and you don't want it everywhere in your tank, get rid of it now. I had a tiny piece in my 300 and it went crazy and got everywhere. Took a while to get it all out. It's almost as bad as aptasia in my mind! If you like the way it looks and you don't mind it taking over, keep it.
 
Yes, the metallic green ones are the only ones that I know for SPS that just spawn everywhere.
Is pocillapora known for doing this? Or just this green frag I have ?
 
What about Ora neon green birdsnest. I believe that’s what this is. Will this produce pest?
 

Attachments

  • A093DDF2-F7EC-420A-8F92-855019BCA505.jpeg
    A093DDF2-F7EC-420A-8F92-855019BCA505.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 78
The guy I bought the frag from said it was a birdnest but you may think it’s not?
At first glance no.
Some sps in frag stages look similar in pictures. That looked like the metallic green pocillapora. In that pic I could not see the pointed tips like in the next photo of it. It was the angle, and they look rounded. Now I see pointed tips, like the birdsnest would have.
They like lots of flow, good luck with the new frags.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 15 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new