Coral issue

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a par reader. Where do you rent one from? The light is about 10 inches over tank

Bulk Reef Supply rents them

Maybe local reef clubs?

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a par reader. Where do you rent one from? The light is about 10 inches over tank
You can rent them from bulk reef supply. It costs about $60 for a week. You do have to put a deposit down for the cost of the meter, but they refund that once the meter is returned. I did it with no problems.

The light you are using puts out a max of 41 PAR at 24 inches over air and an average of 24 PAR over air. Based on the size of your tank, you are probably only getting about 30 PAR to that torch at your settings. Just a guess. That coral needs a lot more light IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oconn21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can rent them from bulk reef supply. It costs about $60 for a week. You do have to put a deposit down for the cost of the meter, but they refund that once the meter is returned. I did it with no problems.

The light you are using puts out a max of 41 PAR at 24 inches over air and an average of 24 PAR over air. Based on the size of your tank, you are probably only getting about 30 PAR to that torch at your settings. Just a guess. That coral needs a lot more light IMO.
Is there a light people like for 15 gallon tanks that won’t limit what I can put in there? I have looked at AI prime ones too because I have the wave maker

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light is fine for your tank. It is recommended to mount the light 6.5inches over the water, the kessils spread the light out very evenly so mounting height and water depth make a big difference. So if possible move the coral higher and closer to the center of the light, or you can center the light more on it if that isn't possible. For now what is far more important is that you get the nutrients under control. I want to echo what IslandLifeReef said, you are definitely overfeeding. Once a day is fine for clownfish and you should probably back off the pellet food while your having issues with algae, dry food is much higher in phosphate to protein than frozen.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light is fine for your tank. It is recommended to mount the light 6.5inches over the water, the kessils spread the light out very evenly so mounting height and water depth make a big difference. So if possible move the coral higher and closer to the center of the light, or you can center the light more on it if that isn't possible. For now what is far more important is that you get the nutrients under control. I want to echo what IslandLifeReef said, you are definitely overfeeding. Once a day is fine for clownfish and you should probably back off the pellet food while your having issues with algae, dry food is much higher in phosphate to protein than frozen.
I agree that the Kessil may be fine for that tank, just not at the height and the intensity it is set at. A PAR meter rental will take all of the guesswork out of the equation.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back