OP
OP
Unfortunate reefer

Unfortunate reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before going to kalk i would get the water changes done over the next few days and get things stable. Then monitor and watch and see how quickly your calc/alk drop as that is the only thing that kalk will affect. To much and youll shoot your calc and alk sky high. I have a 13gal top off that is gravity fed and i only do 1tsp in that entire 13gals. mix well and let it sit for 2hrs then i top off the sump with fresh none kalk top off water and then open the top off back up so it doesn't pour in a lot of kalk water. if that makes sense.

alk is everything in tanks, unstable bouncing up and down kills corals beyond anything else but salinity bouncing.
Yeah I was planning on doing water changes, getting everything stable, and then trying to dose Kalk

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what have your PH been at? you changing out the sump could have triggered some kind of change in water stability. Alk obviously looked off but this also may indicate that your corals are too fragile to survive sudden changes. This could be a result of being in a low PH (below 8.1-8.3 range) environment so want to rule out low ph as a possible underlying condition. especially since it looks like you have mostly "bony" corals instead of softies.

check out my posts here if you are interested, i wrote it in detail.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not underestimate the damage that silicone can do if not fully cured. There are two types, acetoxy and neutral cure, and each one releases chemicals into the water as it cures. 24 hrs worries me.

I agree that alk in the 4s is a problem, although it would be near impossible to get it that low, since alk consumption slows way down under 6.5 or so.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say maybe a toxin was introduced when you made the switch. Also, the alk is very low and will cause problems if sudden or if consistently low over time.

OP
OP
Unfortunate reefer

Unfortunate reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what have your PH been at? you changing out the sump could have triggered some kind of change in water stability. Alk obviously looked off but this also may indicate that your corals are too fragile to survive sudden changes. This could be a result of being in a low PH (below 8.1-8.3 range) environment so want to rule out low ph as a possible underlying condition. especially since it looks like you have mostly "bony" corals instead of softies.

check out my posts here if you are interested, i wrote it in detail.
I haven’t checked my ph actually, I’ll check it in about and hour or so and let you know

OP
OP
Unfortunate reefer

Unfortunate reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update, I was checking my alk with my Hanna checker and it was still really low, thought it was the salt (fritz, don’t remember if it was blue or red) so I mixed up a fresh batch and tested at it was still low, didn’t think to test with another kit so I went and bought some Red Sea coral pro salt and mixed a fresh batch and tested it and it was still low, at this point I was confused, i decided to check with another testing kit and the alk was right where it needed to be...long story short my Hanna tester is wrong for some reason.
After (4) 20% water changes my alk in my tank is 8.5 and everything is looking better, not sure if it was necessarily the low alk or a contaminant but the water changes helped

Back