Coral Lab Light Settings - Increased Algae

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently switched my two XR15's to the SPS AB + setting. Since I did that I've had a massive increase in brown, diatom like algae, on the sand bed.

I've gone through and tested all my parameters multiple times, even bought a second nitrate kit and a silica test. My parameters are as follows. To me nothing is out of range, correct me if I'm wrong...

Alk 8.7
Calc 400
Sal 1.026
Nitrate 4
Phos .07 (Hanna ULR Checker)
Silica 0

Lights are 12in off water
Tank is a 50gallon display
Sump has 5 gallon fuge
TDS is 0

Any suggestions?

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although those numbers aren't terrible the switch may have been too quick for the tank to cope. You don't mention an acclimation period?? Did you lower the power for a while and ramp it back up slowly? Are you using a PAR meter depending on your previous schedule the same power level could have a big difference in PAR because of the spectrum change.

Also the lights can't create algae it's not possible... What they are very god at is feeding what's already there. With any luck its diatoms because of the schedule change and they will burn off, if they haven't already.

OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @sn2per. I befriended a guy from my LFS, brought him a water sample and he looked at my lighting as well.

Although I did acclimate, I probably did it too fast and not properly.

He's also a little weary of how blue the SPSAB+ setting is, as published by ecotech's coral lab. He suggested more white light so I'm adding 1% additional white light per week until I've added 10% more white light.

I do have a PAR meter, but what the PAR meter doesn't tell you is the balance of color spectrum.

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @sn2per. I befriended a guy from my LFS, brought him a water sample and he looked at my lighting as well.

Although I did acclimate, I probably did it too fast and not properly.

He's also a little weary of how blue the SPSAB+ setting is, as published by ecotech's coral lab. He suggested more white light so I'm adding 1% additional white light per week until I've added 10% more white light.

I do have a PAR meter, but what the PAR meter doesn't tell you is the balance of color spectrum.

Here's my issue.... Once you move away from the default that has been created and proven you are in uncharted waters... I understand that you are now taking things slower but going forwards it's not the Coral Labs schedule you are using it's one of your own... does that make sense? Once you get to a point that you are happy with I would suggest you export the schedule so you have it as a back up.

Good Luck.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back