Coral lights

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Fluval Marine 3.0 44"-46"
It should be close to your price range and good for softies and leathers.

If possible, get the Noopsyche K7 V3 140w when they go on sale. Good light and worth the cost.
Those are good lights and I've catch on sale a good bargain.
Go try to win the np light going on now. Can't win if you dont apply.
Very true

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are good lights and I've catch on sale a good bargain.

Very true
I liked both lights, the Fluval Marine LED 3.0is good, cheap and good for something to start with. Like I said though, I would try to save and grab 2 Noopsyche K7 V3 lights. The quality of the light is dramatically different, but the Fluval will atleast get you going.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked both lights, the Fluval Marine LED 3.0is good, cheap and good for something to start with. Like I said though, I would try to save and grab 2 Noopsyche K7 V3 lights. The quality of the light is dramatically different, but the Fluval will atleast get you going.
Agree but for another couple of hundred I would grab the noops. The fluval just don't get enough par to the bottom of the tank

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree but for another couple of hundred I would grab the noops. The fluval just don't get enough par to the bottom of the tank
These np lights i have, it's troublesome for my low light lovers on the bottom. In the shade they went.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice here is this, based on personal experience. Don't go cheap here. Get a good quality light with decent controls.

I started off with an LED strip light (orbit marine 48") it barely gave enough light to see the fish. Then I got a couple black box setups. They were better, but they only had a basic on/off function and very little control over color (only blue and white and honestly the white could never be dialed back enough).

I finally invested in quality. 2 Kessil a360x tuna blues. These lights are a Godsend. They are fully programable, have 6 different color spectrums to work with, have a "ramp up/down" feature as well as moonlight, stormlight, and many other features. My tank has EXPLODED in growth since adding these lights! Including SPS corals, which in the past I had zero luck with. They will last years and for around $1100 for a pair (which is all you need for your tank), well worth the investment.
+1.

I’ve had a pair of Kessil 360we’s over my 75gallon since June ‘15.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 percent with you

High Five Simone Biles GIF by Uber Eats

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 60 gallon tank and I need to know what lighting is good for corals
I have a 90 watt K7 Pro II and a 75 watt K7 V3 (both @noopsyche lights) over my 75 gallon with similar dimensions. A single 140 may not get the coverage you'd want but my 2 lights are more than enough and only 165 total watts. Nicrew makes a decent light for inexpensive as well but the color spectrum and control on the Noops are way better IMO.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Led Lights are expensive no matter how you slice it unless you win them.
I disagree. When you factor in bulb replacements, unless you’re buying top of the line, LEDs are cheaper. When people always say that T5s are cheaper, they always link cheap hydroponic fixtures, which work, but when comparing prices, it’s not really a fair to compare a bottom rung T5 fixture to a mid or high end LED, if we compare low end LEDs, they’re maybe a third of the price of T5s over time. A mid-priced 48” 4 bulb T5 fixture made for aquariums is $400-$500 (high end is over $1000), when you factor $80 in bulbs every 9 months, over 5 years, that’s $900-$100, even the $150 hydroponic light over 5 years is going to be $650, which is a little more than the price of 2 Noopsyches (not on sale) with the controller (which will offer more versatility and will be usable on smaller or larger tanks should they decide to up/downgrade).

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. When you factor in bulb replacements, unless you’re buying top of the line, LEDs are cheaper. When people always say that T5s are cheaper, they always link cheap hydroponic fixtures, which work, but when comparing prices, it’s not really a fair to compare a bottom rung T5 fixture to a mid or high end LED, if we compare low end LEDs, they’re maybe a third of the price of T5s over time. A mid-priced 48” 4 bulb T5 fixture made for aquariums is $400-$500 (high end is over $1000), when you factor $80 in bulbs every 9 months, over 5 years, that’s $900-$100, even the $150 hydroponic light over 5 years is going to be $650, which is a little more than the price of 2 Noopsyches (not on sale) with the controller (which will offer more versatility and will be usable on smaller or larger tanks should they decide to up/downgrade).
You can go that route by my hydroplanet I'm in it for 400 and that includes bulb replacement. Led about 5-6 years the spectrum starts shift and they need to be replaced. Shell out more money for new led.
Your t5 fixture is still good with minor fixes. I'm still trucking along.this is why t5 fixtures hold value and leds don't.

Bulbs are replaced ever 12 months.

My noops would have cost me almost 1k if they weren't free. They are lower end led. I'm still money ahead.
Bulbs are replaced every 9-18 months. I change bulbs every 12.
Led are great lights but they are not money savers like everybody claims.

T5 hold value because if proper cared for they can last a very long time. Led have a life expectancy of 5-6 years.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back