Coral of the Week: Dendro / Dendrophyllia fistula

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30754cbc1512af55f0f10104623704a9.jpg
4da0b55541f707debc4c1dd823691fb7.jpg

I got this frag about 2 weeks ago and have been feeding coral frenzy and reef frenzy twice weekly. They are open all the time. Love them!

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased this one at RAP Orlando and 4-5 new heads have developed. Feeding 2-3 times a week frozen meaty foods, coral chili, Pellet, flake anything. Eats really anything I throw at it. Love it and it’s my wife’s fav too.

0C1E5204-76B0-4E9D-9A85-D862B6D120B3.jpeg

ricenoodle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a colony of 20+ dendros i picked up a week ago. In the evening through the night and early morning, hey are fully extended and beautiful. I take this opportunity to feed 2-3 times a week so far, they eat well. My question is if i continue to feed them during this time would they not be open during the day as they're supposed to over suncorals. Thoughts?

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arent these illegal to import? I would love to try these some day but I have no interest in a coral that was potentially smuggled. Where do you guys get these things legally?

ReeferAdrian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
reviving this thread.. Am planning to get a frag of 2 heads, and have read about gut rot if we are to feed it often. Would be it good to feed it once every week or 10 days? Assuming i were to put it at a good flow area to catch some food on the non feeding days.. What are the tips to make it thrive?

trustmeimalawyer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a frag for about a year that hasn’t grown at all. I feed about mysis about once every 1-2 weeks. The coral otherwise looks happy.

What I’ve noticed lately is that coraline is slowly growing closer to the mouth of the coral. The stem is completely covered in coraline and looks like it’s ready to overtake the coral. Any thoughts on 1) why it hasn’t grown and 2) should I try to remove the coraline and if so, what’s a safe way to accomplish this? Don’t have a pic handy but here’s a FTS.

38F22CD1-BEEF-4EBF-9486-B9202790274E.png

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 1 of mine about 1.5 years from 1 head to 5. They are super slow growth and I feed them mysis, pellets almost daily. If you want it to grow, I guess would be feeding multiple times a day

I’ve had a frag for about a year that hasn’t grown at all. I feed about mysis about once every 1-2 weeks. The coral otherwise looks happy.

What I’ve noticed lately is that coraline is slowly growing closer to the mouth of the coral. The stem is completely covered in coraline and looks like it’s ready to overtake the coral. Any thoughts on 1) why it hasn’t grown and 2) should I try to remove the coraline and if so, what’s a safe way to accomplish this? Don’t have a pic handy but here’s a FTS.

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, 1 of mine about 1.5 years from 1 head to 5. They are super slow growth and I feed them mysis, pellets almost daily. If you want it to grow, I guess would be feeding multiple times a day

IME it takes a long time for 1 head to start growing additional heads but once it does it starts to grow at a faster rate. I feed mine 2-3 times a week.

Solitaryensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on how I can remove the coralline safely from the skeleton? I think that could be inhibiting the growth as well.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dendro.jpg

Scientific Name: Dendrophyllia fistula
Care Level: Beginner to Intermediate
Disposition: Peaceful
Placement in tank: Low
Light Level: Non-Photosynthetic
Water Flow: Medium-Strong Intermittent
Diet: Carnivore, Zooplankton
Range: Bali, Jakarta, Australia
Supplements: Calcium, Strontium, Iodine
Beautiful photo! I haven't built up the nerves to try non-photosynthetic yet :S

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find all those dendros?

I bought a single head over 6 years ago and just grew them out and made frags off the mother colony when I could and that is what I have right now after selling about 10 frags over the last couple years.

jerburton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-02-24 at 9.12.57 PM.png

This is from an older setup I had. I love dendros. I will certainly be getting more when my tank is ready. I think they are pretty easy as long as you feed them and avoid other inhabitants that will pick at them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back