REEF OF THE MONTH - July 2023: Alex Costa's Amazing Rebirth Reef!

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the secrets to this aquarium is Alex's tranquility.
His extended stay in Tibet when he was young shaped him into a sweet, minimalist, and resilient aquarist with enviable patience.
This aquarium is the epitome of Alex's abilities as an aquarist, and an epilogue to his previous tanks.
The recognition is deserved not only for the outcome but also for the person Alex is and his skills.

I have only one thing to say to you, my friend: Namaste!
But I need to correct you about a thing: I'm not only a sweet, minimalist, and resilient aquarist.
I'm a sweet, minimalist, and resilient PERSON!

PS1.: You need to come over to have a beer.
PS2.: My next tank is already named as: TRANQUILITY........which stands to........myself.....lol

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations and well deserved!

Your setup, this and the ones in the past, have always been well thought out and beautiful. The artistry and placement of the corals is fantastic. In this hobby, less is more and you have shown that here with the use of negative space variety of colors. I agree 100% with your sentiment of not chasing numbers. Set the system up, do it right from the start and let nature do its work.

Thanks for sharing your setup and philosophy with us. You're a reef master. :cool:

-Sonny

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you so much for sharing this most excellent example of reef tank to inspire us all!

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! :)
Thanks Randy!

Congratulations and well deserved!

Your setup, this and the ones in the past, have always been well thought out and beautiful. The artistry and placement of the corals is fantastic. In this hobby, less is more and you have shown that here with the use of negative space variety of colors. I agree 100% with your sentiment of not chasing numbers. Set the system up, do it right from the start and let nature do its work.

Thanks for sharing your setup and philosophy with us. You're a reef master. :cool:

-Sonny
Sonny, it means a lot to me to hear it from you, that was a great influence in the way that I kept reef aquariums over the years.
Thank you very much mate!!!!!!
I congratulate. Very beautiful
Thanks!
Thank you so much for sharing this most excellent example of reef tank to inspire us all!
Thanks Rev....it's a pleasure....

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post any pics of your sump area or filtration area where skimmer and Ca Reactor are? Beautiful!

Of course.
Here it is:
fish-room-2.jpg

fish-room-1.jpg

WhyMe?

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, thank you. Are you running your carbone/phosphate reactors 24/7? I am having issue running GFO and phosphate bottoming out, how are you keeping your phosphate from reaching 0 if running reactors? Also, do you think the Carbon filtration is taking away trace elements?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Beautiful tank, amazing pictures, and another great write up!

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, thank you. Are you running your carbone/phosphate reactors 24/7? I am having issue running GFO and phosphate bottoming out, how are you keeping your phosphate from reaching 0 if running reactors? Also, do you think the Carbon filtration is taking away trace elements?
The GAC reactor runs 24/7 and yes, Carbon can adsorve micro elements among other stuff.
The GFO also runs 24/7, but I only fill it when it's necessary. When the PO4 level is under 0.04, I keep the reactor empty.
To avoid the level hits 0,0 you need to balance the input/output of PO4. In systems were the input is small, small amounts of GFO must be used. There's no rule. You need to know your system.

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back