Coral only tank with no fish, no invertebrates, and no people

CyberMyth21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago I decided to make a 20-gallon long aquarium of just corals. The problem is that I am away often for up to 8 weeks at a time and more than a few times a year. I wanted to see if I could keep a coral only tank going to eventually scale up to my 75 gallon tank in the future. The only other things in there other than corals is bristle worms and amphipods from the live rock that I used. The tank has an ATO, and gets doses of alk/calc along with a broadcast coral feed every three days. I have already needed to treat for flatworms and bubble algae, but things are otherwise stable. The tank only has softies and LPS.

One year later, I had issues with my mushrooms and acans. I do feed manually (especially the duncan corals) when I visit. I have no invertebrates including no snails. I am starting to get a hair algae issue. The last time I posted this people kept telling me to add a fish, but I am not around for up to 8 weeks to feed it. Should I get snails? How else can I control the algae without being around? Any other suggestions?

OP
OP
CyberMyth21

CyberMyth21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An effective cleanup crew is essential - even if it's only a handful of snails. You could always look at an autofeeder for a fish or two?
An auto feeder for fish for up to two months sounds a bit risky. I have considered it, but I am not sure if that will just add to my problems with a lack of water changes and currently no protein skimmer. Right now my nitrates and ammonia are at zero.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think a small cleanup crew wouldn't upset your current balance.

I have some understanding of your situation, I am away from my tank five days a week, I rely on automation and web cams to handle daily tasks and keep an eye on things. I agree with you on the auto feeder, I know mine (APEX) wont go more than a week without the pellets starting to cake up and reducing the output.

Does your coral feeding continue while you are away for eight weeks? I would think that amount of nutrient input without corresponding export might build up to an issue?

Gary

OP
OP
CyberMyth21

CyberMyth21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a liquid coral food broadcast feed every three days (one during the day and one at night). No real issues other than some algae. However, not all corals seem to be doing well. I can only do a water change like once every 6 weeks. the lack of fish makes it cleaner, but algae is still an issue.

My lil Booger's tank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A year ago I decided to make a 20-gallon long aquarium of just corals. The problem is that I am away often for up to 8 weeks at a time and more than a few times a year. I wanted to see if I could keep a coral only tank going to eventually scale up to my 75 gallon tank in the future. The only other things in there other than corals is bristle worms and amphipods from the live rock that I used. The tank has an ATO, and gets doses of alk/calc along with a broadcast coral feed every three days. I have already needed to treat for flatworms and bubble algae, but things are otherwise stable. The tank only has softies and LPS.

One year later, I had issues with my mushrooms and acans. I do feed manually (especially the duncan corals) when I visit. I have no invertebrates including no snails. I am starting to get a hair algae issue. The last time I posted this people kept telling me to add a fish, but I am not around for up to 8 weeks to feed it. Should I get snails? How else can I control the algae without being around? Any other suggestions?
Auto feeder will help with being gone, and fish, will help with coral some things just go hand in hand to thrive at there max potential. Just saying you have a auto top off why not add fish and a auto feeder. Hermits will help as well as snails and a lawn mower blenny would also take care of the hair algae but i get everyone is there own person and want things done there way. best of luck. Just throwing options out for ya.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do a liquid coral food broadcast feed every three days (one during the day and one at night). No real issues other than some algae. However, not all corals seem to be doing well. I can only do a water change like once every 6 weeks. the lack of fish makes it cleaner, but algae is still an issue.

Are you having issues with alk and what not?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One big problem to solve is the freshwater top-off. If the container is not big enough to hold 8 weeks worth of ATO water, then you would need someone to come top off your ATO container.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to rule out inverts and fishes entirely. There are lots of tiny fishes that will live entirely on copepods or grazing. I have a tiny blenny that refuses all foods I feed and is fat from just grazing the algae films that grow on the rocks and glass. The tiny cryptic gobies such as eviota can be had captive bred from biota for example. Most crustaceans are scavengers that do not really require much feeding. The key here I think is that it takes some time for lots of nutrients to become sequestered in the tank to sustain these food sources. But it is not that hard to do. Just feed very well when you are home. Don't be afraid of nutrient levels and ignore the number chasers.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back