coral place change?

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago i got a new coral for my tank. I would like to change the direction the coral is facing. Would this harm the coral? Also is there any way to glue it on my rock without the peice of cement it is mounted on? thanks in advamce

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moving it shouldnt hurt it, what kind of coral is it? corals like zoanthids cant really be removed from the cement they're glued onto.

OP
OP
person

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moving it shouldnt hurt it, what kind of coral is it? corals like zoanthids cant really be removed from the cement they're glued onto.
I’m not sure what it’s called. Here’s a pic.

OP
OP
person

person

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
07D3380F-DDB9-4D0A-8676-3AF6CD38B482.jpeg

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
duncan coral, they can easily be removed from the frag plug, just be careful not to damage the polyps, then you can just glue it to the rock.

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to gently but forcefully snap the skeletal base of the coral from the frag plug (cement base). If that doesnt work sometimes using a chisel between the skeletal base and frag plug to pry the two apart will work. You’re just trying to separate the glue that attaches it to the plug, so it shouldn’t be too difficult.

Alternatively, leave it on the plug so it’s easy to move around if you don’t like the second spot you end up putting it. Eventually it’ll grow large enough where you won’t see the plug.

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could use some thin nosed pliers right at the base of the coral where it's attached if its too strong to break off aswell

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, don't use pliers, don't use a razor blade. All those things you're going to take a chance damaging the flesh. That actually looks like a healthy Duncan you don't to see too often from a lfs. Keep it simple, a small screwdriver underneath it and just twist it'll pop right off. hold it gently, don't roughhouse it.
But why do you want to take it off the plug? It's much easier just to keep that plug and glue it or wherever you want, turn it, or whatever. In 6 months time you're going to have five heads and it'll be hard to see that little plug.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back