Coral prices

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find myself doing the same thing honestly, but ill end up with a coral that if I wasn't under my impulsive thoughts I would probably pass on if I were in a lfs taking my time and really looking at it. I have been disappointed to many times with these live sales from the deceptive colors or sizes that I've learned to go into a store and get something because I think it has potential or I just really appreciate it rather then some silly name being the driving force. In the NY and NJ area I like poto and they have those actions my coworker loves lol, and we can go into the store to pick them up but nice clean shop with nice guys, pop corals in Brooklyn is another nice shop if you like lps you won't be disappointed! I really like iconic aquariums in the Inglewood nj area this is purely a reefers shop from lps to sps he has it all worth a stop definitely, Joe over there is a super knowledgeable guy and he is a reefer through and through he has a small amount of fish but it isnt the run of the mill stuff he tries to get in different stuff that isn't commonly seen. No matter what kind of reef tank you have he'll have what your looking for and his prices are very fair.
Another thing I do for the wwc live sales for example, I'll drive the hour to go and pick it up and save a couple bucks rather than buy a shipping module. It used to be $14 then they changed it to $20. When they did the change I was like I'll just save the money and go there myself lol also gave me a good excuse to go to the shop. Also in shop their prices are more decent than online. For the most part though I keep to shops around me

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got no issues really with the high prices. If people want to pay them more power to them. I do have issues with the fake 80% off "sale" prices. I guess even there if someone wants to pay $30 for a few polyps of mohawk weed palys because it is half off then I guess it is not the vendors fault, but I do think it takes advantage of new hobbyists. That is a real example from a fairly recent live sale too.

For me I just wont support vendors that play the games with pricing even if they have some truly good deals. Trying to add a lot of SPS right now and only places I am buying from are individuals or Battlecorals(speaking of which they currently have a legitimate sale going on).

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I do for the wwc live sales for example, I'll drive the hour to go and pick it up and save a couple bucks rather than buy a shipping module. It used to be $14 then they changed it to $20. When they did the change I was like I'll just save the money and go there myself lol also gave me a good excuse to go to the shop. Also in shop their prices are more decent than online. For the most part though I keep to shops around me

Yeah i used to live in that area of fl and I also noticed that the shops definitely had local prices and it helped to keep my teenage self going in because i no money lol, they used to have a tank at the old location that was damaged corals from being stung by another coral or being in the sand or under a rock they would sell highly discounted that was my treasure chest! Any store they has more local prices i think gains the respect of the, well locals lol

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember when people used to pay 100 or 1000s for a beanie baby.
I have a couple tucked away that my kids got as a gift. Both from '94 i believe lol. They'll thank me later when they need money for college.... Can say the same for all my wwc corals I guess:p

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WWC has a 10 day guarantee on their corals
But
YOU PAY FOR THAT WITH THEIR PRICES

Pieces of the ocean (POTO) 14 day guarantee
And you still pay for that but way less then WWC

I would said that guarantee is worth a little bit more money maybe not as much as they want us to pay (in WWCs case)

some things just don’t ship well

I think this is a fairly big part of online coral pricing. With a relatively new tank I've ordered a fair number of corals over the past year. I live in the middle of nowhere so these online sellers help make this hobby possible for me. But when corals get trusted to UPS things go wrong. I received an order with a dozen corals a few months back that was cold and leaking. Almost nothing made it. I received another frag recently that melted in transit. The seller covered not only the coral but the shipping too. Online prices are almost always higher than LFS and these types of guarantees are a big part of it. And knowing that the seller has my back makes it worth a few extra dollars. One thing I'll say about WWC, their shipping price is one of the lowest among major online retailers and they've never given me any arguments about DOAs.

Of course this just explains generally higher prices across the board. As for the $700/head corals, well, there are definitely some really unusual color morphs and corals that are much more difficult to propagate than others. I'm sure for coral collectors, like collectors of anything, it's worth it to get that thing that nobody else has. I just know those corals won't be going anywhere near my tank. I feel bad enough if a cheap frag dies!

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not going to. There’s a certain attitude amongst people with more money than they know what to do with. If you’re not in that group then it’s an issue of practicality. 99% of the people that buy a 1,000,000 Bugatti do not "need" it. They get it because they can. Eventually they wreck it or put it away somewhere to look pretty. The only difference between that and coral is that coral propagates, so eventually you’re going to find those crazy frags at normal prices. I just got a 1 1/2 inch Walt Disney frag for $50. Remember when it was $800 for a 1/4 inch?
So maybe I'm biased because cars are something I am willing will spend stupid amount of money on relative to most people/budgets but by no means Bugatti level. If I spend say 100k on a used f430 it is a f430 it goes 0-60 in 4 seconds, it looks like a f430, it sounds like an f430, it is all of those things no matter what. If I spend $400 on a green butt muncher people eater space king acro it looks like like a green butt munched people eater space king acro only under precise lights with the right filters. When viewed from a foot away under anything resembling normal lights it's just another green stag coral. That is why the coral costs are so crazy to me.

The hobby has shifted from geeks and nerds like me and others who love coral reefs and biology to the gotta collect them all for my glowing blue shadowbox. It's fine, when their $20k setup fizzles because they think the latest $60 bottle of snake oil will fix their issues it makes for good prices on used equipment.

OP
OP
LIreefguy

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe I'm biased because cars are something I am willing will spend stupid amount of money on relative to most people/budgets but by no means Bugatti level. If I spend say 100k on a used f430 it is a f430 it goes 0-60 in 4 seconds, it looks like a f430, it sounds like an f430, it is all of those things no matter what. If I spend $400 on a green butt muncher people eater space king acro it looks like like a green butt munched people eater space king acro only under precise lights with the right filters. When viewed from a foot away under anything resembling normal lights it's just another green stag coral. That is why the coral costs are so crazy to me.

The hobby has shifted from geeks and nerds like me and others who love coral reefs and biology to the gotta collect them all for my glowing blue shadowbox. It's fine, when their $20k setup fizzles because they think the latest $60 bottle of snake oil will fix their issues it makes for good prices on used equipment.
That’s is my whole point
Sorry the home wreaker isn’t even in my top 20 corals in respect to beauty
Yes I guess under the right conditions and Under ultra blue lights it does look great

I have a Walt Disney. More causal people (non reefers ) notice my red monti than that coral

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s is my whole point
Sorry the home wreaker isn’t even in my top 20 corals in respect to beauty
Yes I guess under the right conditions and Under ultra blue lights it does look great

I have a Walt Disney. More causal people (non reefers ) notice my red monti than that coral
Haha right when you have to squint to see the color in polyps the average guest isn't going to appreciate that. When your taking the macro shot it looks so predominant but the reality it its a speck of that pink

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha right when you have to squint to see the color in polyps the average guest isn't going to appreciate that. When your taking the macro shot it looks so predominant but the reality it its a speck of that pink

I think actual size was one of the most difficult lessons for me buying corals online, even more than dayglow photoshopped colors. I often wish coral retailers would adopt the Reddit approach of "banana for scale" ;Hilarious

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to know who actually buy these corals at these crazy prices
Don’t want to call any company out
But they get a wild acro, put a name on it and sell a 1 inch numb for 400-1000
I just don’t understand how anyone can buy it

or the new 500 a head blasto

or the 500 a head zoa

how on earth can anyone pay that much

most of the time they aren’t any nicer than most of the 40 corals I see

I can see buying a 800 meat coral. Least you know that can’t be grown out in someone tank and fragged. But any zoa, mushroom . Blasto , sps can

the price stays high only because the people selling it keeps them high and us hobbiest instead of selling it cheap always sell it high

so tell me your thoughts
Honestly. If you are willing to pay 800 for a meat coral, who are we to judge if someone wants to pay 800 for a torch? Defeats your argument.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly. If you are willing to pay 800 for a meat coral, who are we to judge if someone wants to pay 800 for a torch? Defeats your argument.
A fool and his money are soon parted.

OP
OP
LIreefguy

LIreefguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said I was willing to pay $800 for a meat coral but that makes more sense than spending 1500 on holly grail torch or 1000 on crazy t acro. Meet corals aren’t propagated in home aquariums meaning supply is more limited. Sps grow like weeds in some people tanks ( ps not mine ). And so do torches. So yes I said I can see someone paying 800 for a meat coral. But 1000 on a zoa or sps or torch is insane. But to answer your question What gives me the right to have an opinion. I thought this was a free county. Just like you have the right to spend 2500 on a mushroom. I just think it’s foolish and would never do it

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never overpay for Zoas as it’s one coral that repopulates fast. Anyone trying to get 200$ a head is as bad as a scalper IMO

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this world who is anyone to tell someone else what to do with there money. Shame on you all for trying

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100,000$ worth of tools in my 16,000$ tool box. Should I just buy craftsman because you think Snapon cost to much? No I will buy what I want because it is my money that I have worked for.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 100,000$ worth of tools in my 16,000$ tool box. Should I just buy craftsman because you think Snapon cost to much? No I will buy what I want because it is my money that I have worked for.
Takes $100,000 worth of tools to fix all the problems Ford's have lol.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said I was willing to pay $800 for a meat coral but that makes more sense than spending 1500 on holly grail torch or 1000 on crazy t acro. Meet corals aren’t propagated in home aquariums meaning supply is more limited. Sps grow like weeds in some people tanks ( ps not mine ). And so do torches. So yes I said I can see someone paying 800 for a meat coral. But 1000 on a zoa or sps or torch is insane. But to answer your question What gives me the right to have an opinion. I thought this was a free county. Just like you have the right to spend 2500 on a mushroom. I just think it’s foolish and would never do it
Oh I agree with you. Neither would I (any more).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back