Coral Problem - Looking for some advice

Tint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

I recently posted my build HERE and now my Hammers, Duncan and Zoa's are acting shy. I have tested my PH, Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate and everything is where it should be. I realized I was using a salt designed for fish only tanks and have been doing small water changes twice a week with a new reef friendly salt. Here are some photos showing what the corals are doing and I hope someone can help me identify the problem.

IMG_7259.JPG

IMG_7260.JPG

Gary S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics with the white lights on? It would help to see the colors of the corals.

To me it just looks like they are retracted some because of stress from salt change but otherwise fine. Duncans are super reactive to anything changing, but are one of the hardiest corals I've ever owned. Hammers to my recollection are more sensitive, but I'm not so sure.

It looks like your corals are doing fine, and just stressed. Hard to tell with that lighting though...

OP
OP
Tint

Tint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pics with the white lights on? It would help to see the colors of the corals.

To me it just looks like they are retracted some because of stress from salt change but otherwise fine. Duncans are super reactive to anything changing, but are one of the hardiest corals I've ever owned. Hammers to my recollection are more sensitive, but I'm not so sure.

It looks like your corals are doing fine, and just stressed. Hard to tell with that lighting though...
IMG_0154.JPG

IMG_0144.JPG

IMG_0147.JPG

IMG_0148.JPG

IMG_0152.JPG

IMG_0146.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG IMG_0154.JPG

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump - Could very well be reaction to the salt change. Which salt were you using prior vs now? In the build thread you mentioned 40% water change weekly.

When I changed salts I did ~10% or less weekly. Went from Instant Ocean mixing alk at ~11 to Tropic Marine at ~7

OP
OP
Tint

Tint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump - Could very well be reaction to the salt change. Which salt were you using prior vs now? In the build thread you mentioned 40% water change weekly.

When I changed salts I did ~10% or less weekly. Went from Instant Ocean mixing alk at ~11 to Tropic Marine at ~7
Hi PR_nano,

So this was happening before the salt change and in my attempt to solve the problem I started looking into everything and I realized the Instant Ocean (Sea Salt) was for fish only so now I am using Instant Ocean (Reed Crystal). I was doing a 40% change but I have been doing about 10-15% with new salt twice a week to flush out the old salt.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many people here that use plain IO salt for their reef tanks. Some dose, others don't. Im actually going to give plain IO a try after having reef crystals to start and red sea coral pro as last bucket. IO is not considered a fish only salt to the best of my knowledge.

Edit: I'm going back to IO RC since a online retailer of pet supplies has the bucket 55% off for only 40 bucks.

Last edited:

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with salt changes, any alk / calcium swings? What was the alk prior and post ? They could just be ticked off, and will recover. Nitrates / Phosphate? Any idea what that's at right now?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back