Coral problem.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton results are in. They do a great test, but I think I'm in trouble and I don't know what to do from here. The big question... Is it bad water from my LFS or is it my system? (Or both) Where to start.
0097c8bcd4ba3073de8c9dfa778c3ece.jpg
cc8fb7561fbfd0bf975b88a8f4e735ea.jpg
904f6a37a351aaac7193f13588968054.jpg

@saltyfilmfolks here's the triton results with copper present and tin

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on the rebuild phase. All new water, sand and live rock. I have it cycling and will change the filter out in a day or two. I have a new inline UV light inplace. Still more items to reinstall, but the hard part is over.
Fish are doing ok in a bucket with some of the old water, sand and rocks. Just a bubbler, but the look ok for now. I hope the transition back into the new tan isn't too traumatic.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you've been busy! I guess the real question is, do you feel confident with everything?

And that old uv sterilizer does look suspicious...did the case have a crack in it or something?

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, you've been busy! I guess the real question is, do you feel confident with everything?

And that old uv sterilizer does look suspicious...did the case have a crack in it or something?
The rusted metal shield Is a reflector around the UV bulb . I heard from my LFS that that brand was known to do that. My new one is all plastic and is in operation. Now my light gave me a slight tingle and is tripping my ground fault. I'll look at that tomorrow and will start up my RO unit. I'm tired of problems. I just hope my fish make it.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in the bucket, 30+ hours? Have you checked their water parameters? Temperature and ammonia are going to be the most important ones to monitor. Of course they're behavior is going to be a huge indicator of their well being, which I imagine you're already monitoring very closely.

Depending on the new live rock, your system may be able to handle the fish if you're extremely careful about how much you feed them. There are also a number of water conditioners available to help with the ammonia build up and speed up the cycling process which may be worth looking into. But, like everything else, some say they work, some say they don't. Just make sure to acclimate them before making the transfer.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have they been in the bucket, 30+ hours? Have you checked their water parameters? Temperature and ammonia are going to be the most important ones to monitor. Of course they're behavior is going to be a huge indicator of their well being, which I imagine you're already monitoring very closely.

Depending on the new live rock, your system may be able to handle the fish if you're extremely careful about how much you feed them. There are also a number of water conditioners available to help with the ammonia build up and speed up the cycling process which may be worth looking into. But, like everything else, some say they work, some say they don't. Just make sure to acclimate them before making the transfer.
I'm keeping the room right st 75 degrees. Fidh seem good today. I eill check the ammonia. I think in a few days ut will be back to the tank. I hope thats long enough.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is on the rebuild phase. All new water, sand and live rock. I have it cycling and will change the filter out in a day or two. I have a new inline UV light inplace. Still more items to reinstall, but the hard part is over.
Fish are doing ok in a bucket with some of the old water, sand and rocks. Just a bubbler, but the look ok for now. I hope the transition back into the new tan isn't too traumatic.
+1 on the ammonia. the rock and sand will process the Am.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 100%back together and running smoothly. Noticed a nice surprise as I have a large clan litchiking on my new live rock. He is still opening after two days. A great sign!
Making my first RO. I don't have thr DI cartridge in yet, but im sooo hsppy with the readout!
Oh, my electrical problem seemed to be a bad power strip. I replaced that and stopped getting tingle. I feel good about things at this point.
eac5936eb733db23ad1097c0e7952726.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 100%back together and running smoothly. Noticed a nice surprise as I have a large clan litchiking on my new live rock. He is still opening after two days. A great sign!
Making my first RO. I don't have thr DI cartridge in yet, but im sooo hsppy with the readout!
Oh, my electrical problem seemed to be a bad power strip. I replaced that and stopped getting tingle. I feel good about things at this point.
All good stuff!

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's wonderful! So when do we get to see?

The RO membrane will remove the heavy metals, so don't worry too much about the di cartridge right away.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. after running a few days I cleaned out my filter, so everything is ready. Salt levels and temp look perfect. The new live rock looks good and my clam is opening up. I put a few of the fake corals back in. I hope soon they will be replaced with real ones. I don't want to push my fish being in a bucket, so tomorrow im putting them back in there newly remodled home. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Oh, I made twenty gallons of .o ppm RO last night. I love that!
5079e26d7092a03a29ae7a1bd28cdc3e.jpg

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.. after running a few days I cleaned out my filter, so everything is ready. Salt levels and temp look perfect. The new live rock looks good and my clam is opening up. I put a few of the fake corals bsck in. I hope soon they will be replaced with real ones. I don't want to push my fish being in a bucket, so tomorrow im putting them back in there newly remodled home. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Oh, I made twenty gallons of .o ppm RO last night. I love that!
5079e26d7092a03a29ae7a1bd28cdc3e.jpg
Ha! I love it! Fish are still OK I assume since they're staying in the bucket one more day? Did you change salt brands?

Is the rock from Florida by chance? I only ask because I have a bunch of those clams on my rocks and the rocks themselves look pretty similar. I used to know what species they were, but I can't remember now. It'll definitely let you know if something is wrong by not opening for days on end, so keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! I love it! Fish are still OK I assume since they're staying in the bucket one more day? Did you change salt brands?

Is the rock from Florida by chance? I only ask because I have a bunch of those clams on my rocks and the rocks themselves look pretty similar. I used to know what species they were, but I can't remember now. It'll definitely let you know if something is wrong by not opening for days on end, so keep an eye on it.
I think the rock was from that area. He told me, but I didn't process it and am not positive. I will watch the clams. There are two, but I only saw one open today. One is in a higher water flow area. Would that mater?

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So long as it's not getting blasted with flow it should be fine. They will open more frequently and for longer as the become more accustomed to your tank.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm acclamating my fish and they will soon be in their new home. Both clams are open today and all looks good.
I had said at one point that I was very limited for space. The pics tell the story. I wish it could be neater but there is just too much. The small pump in the back pumps the water to the cooler in the other room.
ff781325717224b4918229ad173f62c7.jpg
8f21a127c58c738bc1ab4d4309f3d4a6.jpg
df71aec058213c71aa9c38efa4326ca1.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours and I have very happy fish. All survived and are full of energy. Yay! I will try my first coral this weekend, but things are looking good. Thank you everone for your help.
dd18ab80143655c3fa3ccd4acbd58f1a.jpg

Here's to a speedy recovery!

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
24 hours and I have very happy fish. All survived and are full of energy. Yay! I will try my first coral this weekend, but things are looking good. Thank you everone for your help.
dd18ab80143655c3fa3ccd4acbd58f1a.jpg

I'm very happy to see all the fish made it. Everything looks great! Any thoughts on your first coral? Try to stick with ones that are more tolerant of water fluctuations while the tank balances itself out.

How's the RO system? No more hauling buckets across town!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back