Coral problem.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish's happiness is about all you can ask for at this point, so that's good news.

Let me know your impressions on your new RO/DI, that'll be a near future purchase of mine.

FindNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No word yet. I feel like I'm in limbo at the moment. My new RODI will be delivered tomorrow and my refractrometer is on its way. Fish all all fine and happy.

My fish recently were living in water with a salinity level of 1.006. They can live in low salt level environment. Kind of like a fresh water dip. And I had a purple tang. Maroon lighting clown, Martin clown, yellow tang.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Triton results are in. They do a great test, but I think I'm in trouble and I don't know what to do from here. The big question... Is it bad water from my LFS or is it my system? (Or both) Where to start.
0097c8bcd4ba3073de8c9dfa778c3ece.jpg
cc8fb7561fbfd0bf975b88a8f4e735ea.jpg
904f6a37a351aaac7193f13588968054.jpg

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For one, you seem to have a lot of Copper. You might want to check your equipment for any exposed wires.

Edit: The existence of high Sn with Cu makes me think exposed wires. Most wire is Sn coated to facilitate easier soldering.

erk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I'd focus first on eliminating the heavy metals or bringing them into balance. Copper absorption media will work here, but only if you know the source has been resolved. Check your equipment thoroughly. Once you are done there, begin balancing the macro elements with a good salt mix and water changes. A good salt mix should bring your other parameters into balance as well. Take your time and you should have a flourishing tank before long.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I'd focus first on eliminating the heavy metals or bringing them into balance. Copper absorption media will work here, but only if you know the source has been resolved. Check your equipment thoroughly. Once you are done there, begin balancing the macro elements with a good salt mix and water changes. A good salt mix should bring your other parameters into balance as well. Take your time and you should have a flourishing tank before long.
Thank you. I will pull everything out and look it over.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely start with copper. It alone would wipe out any invert you put in there. @erk is right about the high levels of tin with the copper. Check for cracks in your heater, or loose connections where cords enter the equipment, any flaws, cracks or leaks in your chiller, etc.

I'm not sure where the lithium would come from, or it's effect in an aquarium, but tin, cobalt, and nickel could have come from the ss pipes you mentioned in the beginning, or from faulty or damaged equipment.

Your source water could very well be where some, or all, these things are coming from. Inspect your equipment first, if everything looks good, then the source water would be a good second place to start.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely start with copper. It alone would wipe out any invert you put in there. @erk is right about the high levels of tin with the copper. Check for cracks in your heater, or loose connections where cords enter the equipment, any flaws, cracks or leaks in your chiller, etc.

I'm not sure where the lithium would come from, or it's effect in an aquarium, but tin, cobalt, and nickel could have come from the ss pipes you mentioned in the beginning, or from faulty or damaged equipment.

Your source water could very well be where some, or all, these things are coming from. Inspect your equipment first, if everything looks good, then the source water would be a good second place to start.
The only thing that makes me question my water supply is the one bucket I had that read will over 100 on my TDS meter. Electric also. The last think I added is my nano protein skimmer. I will start with that.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that makes me question my water supply is the one bucket I had that read will over 100 on my TDS meter. Electric also. The last think I added is my nano protein skimmer. I will start with that.
I don't own a tds meter, but I would imagine if water was added to a dirty bucket (like one from last week's water change) it would show up with a noticeably higher amount of dissolved solids. I don't know if it would be 3x what your other buckets read though, and I doubt it could accumulate over time in the bucket.

City water is full of stuff you and I don't want to even think about. A lot of things can affect the concentration of heavy metals or organics in our water supply like the distance from the supply, or the age of the city's pipes or even the plumbing in the business or residence. I read a thread about someone finding copper in their system and it turned out to be from a metal nozzle they used for years on their return pump.

When you get your new RO unit set up, see what it reads for dissolved solids. If source water is in fact your issue, then UPS may have already delivered your solution.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't own a tds meter, but I would imagine if water was added to a dirty bucket (like one from last week's water change) it would show up with a noticeably higher amount of dissolved solids. I don't know if it would be 3x what your other buckets read though, and I doubt it could accumulate over time in the bucket.

City water is full of stuff you and I don't want to even think about. A lot of things can affect the concentration of heavy metals or organics in our water supply like the distance from the supply, or the age of the city's pipes or even the plumbing in the business or residence. I read a thread about someone finding copper in their system and it turned out to be from a metal nozzle they used for years on their return pump.

When you get your new RO unit set up, see what it reads for dissolved solids. If source water is in fact your issue, then UPS may have already delivered your solution.
All great ideas. I have used some filtered water from my fridge a few times. Maybe a gallon twice a year in an emergency to top off ny tank. Other than that, always RO. I also never use my water change bucket to hold new RO. Different buckets.
My first plan for tomorrow is to wash out my 3 RO buckets and head to my 3 RO suppliers and get a bucket from each. Then I will check each one with my TDS meter and compare.
Then to start checking my electric wires for cracks. I also want to check my magnetic glass cleaner to make sure that's not cracked or leaking.
I really want to find the source and move on!

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great ideas. I have used some filtered water from my fridge a few times. Maybe a gallon twice a year in an emergency to top off ny tank. Other than that, always RO. I also never use my water change bucket to hold new RO. Different buckets.
My first plan for tomorrow is to wash out my 3 RO buckets and head to my 3 RO suppliers and get a bucket from each. Then I will check each one with my TDS meter and compare.
Then to start checking my electric wires for cracks. I also want to check my magnetic glass cleaner to make sure that's not cracked or leaking.
I really want to find the source and move on!
Sounds like a great plan of attack! Good luck!

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just looking at my tank and noticed the light brackets at each end are rusty. It doesn't look like much would have made it to the tank, but maybe it doesn't take much. I will fix that.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just completed my first step. I got water from my 3 LFS's and tested the water from each eith my TDS meter...
LFS1- 63
LFS2- 6
LFS3- 105
(Just to compare)
My tap water- 144
My filtered fridge water-102 (needed to replace it last week)

Bad water my problem???

Someone I talked to suggested, even though far fetched, maybe a piece of my live rock has a piece of metal in it. Funny thing... I bought a metel detector last fall and I will check each piece. You never know. Next on my todo list.

Bradley Crocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually sounds like it could be fun! Maybe if I get a minute I'll do the same for a few shops around here. I know there's a purpose behind your research, while mine would be yet another excuse to go buy something...but it would still be interesting to see the results.

Did you use one shop more than the other two? It's hard to say still if source water is the culprit since the tds meter doesn't actually say what the solids are that it's detecting. It could be 6 ppm copper at one, and 105 ppm sodium at the other.

And It suppose it's possible for there to be a metal deposit, or a coin or something in the rocks, but it is unlikely.

Have you looked into some copper absorption media? I believe there's other media that can remove some of the other stuff, like aluminum, but I'll have to check.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That actually sounds like it could be fun! Maybe if I get a minute I'll do the same for a few shops around here. I know there's a purpose behind your research, while mine would be yet another excuse to go buy something...but it would still be interesting to see the results.

Did you use one shop more than the other two? It's hard to say still if source water is the culprit since the tds meter doesn't actually say what the solids are that it's detecting. It could be 6 ppm copper at one, and 105 ppm sodium at the other.

And It suppose it's possible for there to be a metal deposit, or a coin or something in the rocks, but it is unlikely.

Have you looked into some copper absorption media? I believe there's other media that can remove some of the other stuff, like aluminum, but I'll have to check.
Boyd poly filter it supposed to remove metals. Also cuprisorb lists other metals also, and that media can be regenerated

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back