Coral problem.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my RO form my LFS's I alternate between 3 sources. Should I check each with my nrw TDS meter to see which is the best supplier?
I'd buy a rodi unit... But otherwise you should check every time you buy it. I have had anything from 0 to 200 in lfs water. I got my own unit so I know how it's maintained and don't have to suffer at the discretion of the lfs maintenance schedule.

I'd recommend rinsing your bucket with tap and allowing to dry before you get a rodi refill.

Spectrapure has a refurbished 90g per day for 125
http://spectrapure.com/RO-RODI/RODI-SYSTEMS/Refurbished-90-GPD-RODI-System
Not only will your own unit give you control over maintenance, no more lugging buckets from the store. And if you need to do a water change when lfs is closed you can start producing rodi immediately instead of waiting for the store to open.

C0tt0nw00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get my RO form my LFS's I alternate between 3 sources. Should I check each with my nrw TDS meter to see which is the best supplier?

I won't trust any water that isn't 0 TDS before mixing. You don't know exactly what you're getting in your water and it will cause problems. Ive been there. You can't get anything figured and find a cause if your water isn't right at the start. I also have a 30 gal right now, and I use distilled water to mix my salt. It works great and I've never had problem. I'm working in adding a larger system as a second tank and due to size distilled won't be an option for it so I will get my own RODI until. But if it ever reads above 0 don't use that water and change out your membranes etc...if a LFS is selling water that isn't 0 I wouldn't trust them for anything else either, that's bad!

Oh one added thing IMO 78 to 80 is high for most corals. I keep my tank at 77 and sometimes it will bump to 78. My stuff got shut off once last summer and I found my tank looking bad, got my electrical back in and my tank was only at 80 but the corals were not very happy.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't trust any water that isn't 0 TDS before mixing. You don't know exactly what you're getting in your water and it will cause problems. Ive been there. You can't get anything figured and find a cause if your water isn't right at the start. I also have a 30 gal right now, and I use distilled water to mix my salt. It works great and I've never had problem. I'm working in adding a larger system as a second tank and due to size distilled won't be an option for it so I will get my own RODI until. But if it ever reads above 0 don't use that water and change out your membranes etc...if a LFS is selling water that isn't 0 I wouldn't trust them for anything else either, that's bad!

Oh one added thing IMO 78 to 80 is high for most corals. I keep my tank at 77 and sometimes it will bump to 78. My stuff got shut off once last summer and I found my tank looking bad, got my electrical back in and my tank was only at 80 but the corals were not very happy.
What is IMO?
Is that my temp? I used to get very high..83 in summer and I had some leathers that tolerated it. My chiller is set at 77 and goes up a but...79, before it turns on. Working well.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very strange. I just tested my tap water with my TDS and got a 152. My one bucket of RO is at 193 and doesn't taste at all salty. My hydrometer reads no salt. My other bucket as I said yesterday is at 28

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is IMO?
Is that my temp? I used to get very high..83 in summer and I had some leathers that tolerated it. My chiller is set at 77 and goes up a but...79, before it turns on. Working well.
IMO In my opinion

Ok ur bucket might be dirty that's why it is reading a higher tds then tap water

Yes test each lfs tdi ur paying for a lie right now in fact I would show them that there water isn't zero tds in front of them maby they just don't know hopefully that's it instead of them knowing it's bad

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my buckets nee and have never used them for anything else, but who knows if the water i put in them was bad. The RODI sounds like a good idea. I don't know much about them, but hopefully not to hard. I saw these two that look like would do the job. $160 to$190..Opinions?
15f75cc2fa7f0cd486871d97c787a788.jpg
308cd044905b8b24b2807334381a8e3f.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I shall put my two cents forward with an rodi unit for every good gallon u make u make three bad gallons. So if u get a booster pump that makes it a one to one ratio as one good gallon to one bad one. If u go the booster pump way u will need an rodi unit rated for 90-100 gallons a day. If not a 50 gpd will be just fine. Now they have ones with all the bells and whistles inline tds meters and all the other stuff I recomend getting one with at least a back flush and a pressure gauge. With ur tap water being at 192 I would recomend a four stage rodi unit like u have pictured no need for at more stages.

Lastly I fully recomend getting a boost pump it cut my water bill in half (made the wife happy) plus the one I bought automatically backflushes and shuts off if connected to a shutoff valve

Here's a pic of my setup with the aquatic life buddie boater or something like that the whole setup was around 340 dollars brand new
IMG_0670.JPG

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here I shall put my two cents forward with an rodi unit for every good gallon u make u make three bad gallons. So if u get a booster pump that makes it a one to one ratio as one good gallon to one bad one. If u go the booster pump way u will need an rodi unit rated for 90-100 gallons a day. If not a 50 gpd will be just fine. Now they have ones with all the bells and whistles inline tds meters and all the other stuff I recomend getting one with at least a back flush and a pressure gauge. With ur tap water being at 192 I would recomend a four stage rodi unit like u have pictured no need for at more stages.

Lastly I fully recomend getting a boost pump it cut my water bill in half (made the wife happy) plus the one I bought automatically backflushes and shuts off if connected to a shutoff valve

Here's a pic of my setup with the aquatic life buddie boater or something like that the whole setup was around 340 dollars brand new
IMG_0670.JPG
My water pressure is at max 40psi. I probably should have a pump. This would be a big investment.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water pressure is at max 40psi. I probably should have a pump. This would be a big investment.
Yea I would get a pump
there are cheaper options out there I just liked the idea of my boost pump doing the thinking for me. That's only 125 dollars btw I spent more on the rodi unit

C0tt0nw00d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the mean time, look at getting distilled water. Gallon jugs are .70 or .80 depending on which store I go to. It's a good option that always comes 0 TDS.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I would get a pump
there are cheaper options out there I just liked the idea of my boost pump doing the thinking for me. That's only 125 dollars btw I spent more on the rodi unit
I think i f I do this I'll go with these. About $275 ,for both with tax.
cf57331188896bec4d49fab94f464490.jpg
25b975368581add92ea5ed6605991b50.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back