Coral problem.

FindNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new test kits were delivered yesterday and I just finished up running them. (I still have an oxy and iron test coming) I would have to say, It seems like the test should be pretty accurate. I get like a chemist! That being said, if I did them right, it doesn't look good. Let me know were I stand and what should I do. Should I retest anything?

Nitrate - 40 to 50
Phosphate - 2
KH/Alkalinity 12.1/4.3
Copper - 0
PH - 7.4
Calcium -240
Mag - 1290
Salinity - 1.024

There is no way your salinity is right with all those numbers. They're all low!!!!! That's exactly what my numbers were to the T when my salinity level was low!!! Except the KH. Are you sure you ran that one right?

FindNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The api kits are expired, aren't they? If so, you should take the salifert results as true. Nitrate is going down, so that's good. Magnesium is fine, so there goes that theory....

If the snail hasn't moved in 24 hours, then maybe you should take it out so it doesn't add to the problem.

I'm telling you. Your salinity is off. I promise you. I just went through the same thing. Buy yourself a refractometer with 35PPT calibration fluid.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get a 4 stage Rodi or should I look at a 6 stage? Prices are similar.

FindNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I get a 4 stage Rodi or should I look at a 6 stage? Prices are similar.

Just being filtered two more times with a 6 stage before it hits the DI. Just means when it's time to replace filters you buy more. If you're not making Atleast 50 gallons at a time you will burn through filters and need to flush your membrane more often. I have a four stage with 45 psi and I change my filters every 4 months and flush my membrane every 6 months. I have a built in TDS meter so when it get around 6 PPM I'll flush the membrane.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water samples have been received at the US office and will be on its way to Germany tomorrow. In the meantime, I want to get a better reading on my salt and will be getting a spectrometer.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this. It ha a built in tds and a booster pump. Opinions?
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/p...tm_source=bc&gclid=CPvx28q429ICFQeIaQodW9wEGQ
8f2ba0c46218753eb703fe3118618feb.jpg

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the brand I have so far so good for me but I found it cheaper to go the route I posted earlier

Plus in line tds meters are ok not the best

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found this. It ha a built in tds and a booster pump. Opinions?
https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/p...tm_source=bc&gclid=CPvx28q429ICFQeIaQodW9wEGQ
8f2ba0c46218753eb703fe3118618feb.jpg

I originally got this (see link below). I don't recommend it for high TDS but yours was under 300? So you may have 10TDS entering the DI (or less if the % is accurate). More waste but higher GPD if that's what you were wanting.

http://www.melevsreef.com/catalog/150-gpd-boosted-rodi-system

I saw your link was 5micron and 10micron on the pre filters. I switched all mine out to .5micron since my water quality sucks. Using the spectrapure filters in my current RODI.

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need quality not quantity. I only have a 30gal tank so 5 to 10 gal/week is plenty. Should I be looking at a smaller unit?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need quality not quantity. I only have a 30gal tank so 5 to 10 gal/week is plenty. Should I be looking at a smaller unit?
No the quality of the filters is what matters, the rest is pretty much plastic with different logos.. . Have you taken a look at the spectrapure unit I posted earlier?

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No the quality of the filters is what matters, the rest is pretty much plastic with different logos.. . Have you taken a look at the spectrapure unit I posted earlier?
I just looked again and it would work. I checked the site and found the same with .5 micron filters and a TDs meter. Might be better?https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/ro-di-standard-cspdi90-unit-90-gpd-spectrapure/
I called to see what booster pump they recommend.
I originally got this (see link below). I don't recommend it for high TDS but yours was under 300? So you may have 10TDS entering the DI (or less if the % is accurate). More waste but higher GPD if that's what you were wanting.

http://www.melevsreef.com/catalog/150-gpd-boosted-rodi-system

I saw your link was 5micron and 10micron on the pre filters. I switched all mine out to .5micron since my water quality sucks. Using the spectrapure filters in my current RODI.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked again and it would work. I checked the site and found the same with .5 micron filters and a TDs meter. Might be better?https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/ro-di-standard-cspdi90-unit-90-gpd-spectrapure/
I called to see what booster pump they recommend.
You have a handheld tds meter right?
Can you get the water quality report from your supplier? I'd have that handy and call spectrapure and see if that refurbished unit will work, it's 100 cheaper..
I use 1micron and they have done fine for me

OP
OP
TinaMarie026

TinaMarie026

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I should have started a new discussion on RODI units. :)
I'll try to get back to the matter at hand as SSO as my refractrometer comes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back