Coral problem

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I’ve got a kinda big problem/ small problem I don’t know if it’s going to hurt me in the end figuratively, so my water levels seem to all be good I just did my tests today and they were all pretty perfect, but the corals just don’t seem ok, and I don’t know what is happening, all the fish are ok btw, if you would like to see a photo of the corals my Instagram handle is

jacksreef2020
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance! Also would the levels of my water have to do anything with brown jelly?

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna need pics and parameters to help.

0utworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals aren't looking well, your parameters probably aren't perfect. Post them so we can figure this out together.

BJD is usually caused by an infection followed by a trauma. Poor water parameters usually causes polyp bailout or poor immunity (prone to BJD).

OP
OP
Jacksfish2020

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post your parameters.
Ok so I’ve got a kinda big problem/ small problem I don’t know if it’s going to hurt me in the end figuratively, so my water levels seem to all be good I just did my tests today and they were all pretty perfect, but the corals just don’t seem ok, and I don’t know what is happening, all the fish are ok btw, if you would like to see a photo of the corals my Instagram handle is

jacksreef2020
Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance! Also would the levels of my water have to do anything with brown jelly?
Ph:8.0
Ammonia:

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High alk, especially when combined with zero nutrients is a major problem.

With a dkh of 14, you’d probably want your nitrates at 10ppm (maybe higher) and at least .03ppm phosphates. Simply feeding more isn’t going to solve this fast enough IMO and you’ll probably have to dose at least a little nitrates and phosphates each day to gradually bring them up to where they should be without causing other issues to pop up.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QUOTE="Crustaceon, post: 7401328, member: 117250"]
High alk, especially when combined with zero nutrients is a major problem.
[/QUOTE]

This. Really need to up your no3 and p04 to start and get that crazy high alk down.

OP
OP
Jacksfish2020

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a feeling this is water change related. Are you on a schedule and if so, how much do you do weekly? Is it instant ocean reef crystals by any chance?
No it’s called Ocean plus pro formula, also I do a water change every two weeks, I’ve only been using tap water because my local store selling ro has not been working, also this problem was happening before I was using the ro to. I’m going today to try and buy a nitrate raiser, and a phosphate raiser, and I’ll see if that does anything.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank ?
By your parameter numbers. .
Detectable nitrite but zero nitrates indicates it hasn’t had time to cycle or mature .

As said above . High kh and low or absent nutrient levels aren’t good at all

OP
OP
Jacksfish2020

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using tap water .
I’m curious if any tests have been performed prior to switching to tap water .
Yes I tested yesterday and those were my levels above, the tank has been cycled already, for about a year now, I’m going to get a nitrate raiser, and a phosphate raiser, hopefully that might do something positive?

OP
OP
Jacksfish2020

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I tested yesterday and those were my levels above, the tank has been cycled already, for about a year now, I’m going to get a nitrate raiser, and a phosphate raiser, hopefully that might do something positive?
I also just put a picture on here, the anemone was blooming before, and now it’s dying ???

1AE9F382-E870-40A1-9E6A-A9BD83C1BDBE.jpeg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used tap water, did you use a conditioner to neutralize the chlorine/chloramine?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be hard to diagnose much with the giant low hanging fruit that is your use of tap water.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, tap water is going to be an issue.
You need RODI with a TDS of zero to make appropriate water.
You indicate both nutrients, N&P, are both zero.
If that is correct your corals will/are starving.
N should be kept in the 2-10ppm and phosphate in the 0.03-.15 range

BDFCE167-F2EE-45F8-BF0F-8189702C4119.jpeg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back