Coral propagation techniques, feeding,cutting, growing and coloring up

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great thread! I'm just starting to get into chalices, so this is really helpful!

How do u seal the bags?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

I use a food sealer to close the bags up:
d6bcfded.jpg

b56aa40e.jpg

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised more people don't use that technique to seal their bags.

Great idea Ronnie.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, some of the most interesting information, on page one, most of the pictures are missing.

Great write up. I look forward to reading the rest!! Subscribed!

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used a dremal if I didn't use/own/have a band saw available to me IDE use a high rpm dremal. I look at it like this you are almost garenteed to lose frags with those other methods. If your cutting 20 dollar frags to 500 dollar frags you'll lose pieces and it will add up buy the saw. On another note any other method is very crude when it comes to fragging. Tears flesh breaks skeleton just very bad along with very inacurate with cutting specific sizes. A band saw cuts thin and so accurate you can easily cut single z/p polyps and acans. I'm not pramoting small frags but you have 100 percent more controlle .

Sorry for any spelling/grammar I'm the car at the end of a six hour drive.

Be on the look out for my tank thread, I'm done fragging for the most part got brand new rock from Wwc and I'm glueing everything down and growing it out. You might even see a convict colony =)

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question but WWC sells rocks?

They are a LFS store arnt they? I am very bad at aquascaping. I mean bad. So I tossed around buying some off of Live aquaria, Tampa and a few other stores but hated the fact it would be full of crap,I would need to cure it for a while and the fact It would still look like crap when I did it. Then I though about the BRS rock which is clean but even longer time to cure and I hate how it looks. So I told Cris when he was with WWC and he told me how each piece is hand cleaned powerwashed and be cured before they sell it. Then Vic offered to personally Scape the tank over in FL he texted me about 10 pictures to make sure I like the rock I was getting and the Scape. I must say I have never been so happy with my tank now. AMAZING rock clean nice great pieces, The scape looks amazing in my tank and I have started to glue down a few pieces and its only getting better. As for price yes it was a little more $$$ then lets say buying it from liveaquaria but worth every penny. It wasnt that much more and It was cured and CLEAN. No unwanted critters, crazy algea or sponges on it. Plus I had a general direction on how I was gonna scape it. I was debating about buying a elos 120XL because I thought I would like it more then this cube, but WWC changed my mind and Im sticking with my current tank because I like it so much now.

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea maybe Ill try and get it done today.

BigJohnWoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain more on how you cut your chalices? I saw the first post that said you use the band saw. Do you just turn it on and cut it or is there a specific way you do it? Thanks

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain more on how you cut your chalices? I saw the first post that said you use the band saw. Do you just turn it on and cut it or is there a specific way you do it? Thanks

I mean there is tons of diffrent ways I use the band saw to cut chalices, Some are secretes lol. Just a few tips for success though. Always turn it all the way on the more RPM's the better. Always use saltwater might go threw blades a tad bit faster but with a good cleaning you wont see much difference in life. Lastly dont shove the chalice threw the slower the better, You dont want to pull on the blade because thats bad for the blade and you dont want to tare tissue on the chalice. I have taken 15-25 seconds cutting a one eye frag just slow and steady.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did what you said for encrusting coral except i used my dremel to grind that base down some. Then built epoxy up around them and they are already encrusting after about 2 weeks.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey M and M any way we could get those pictures in your original post fixed? :D

Sugo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way we could get a tutorial video as well? Only half joking lol

OP
OP
m and m

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey M and M any way we could get those pictures in your original post fixed? :D

My flickr account got full so I deleted some images not even realized they where connected to this section. I also switched around my system so alot of its not the same anymore so I can't retake the images. I will open a new flickr and upload some new pictures for you though in time when I get the chance. Im trying to get everything in my DT and lose 80% of my frag system.

Is there any way we could get a tutorial video as well? Only half joking lol

I have always wanted to do a video but I don't have a camera and have no clue how to edit. Ill see if I can find one though if not I will get the GF to do a photo thing by thing I do to frag.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back