Coral QT Lighting

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey ya'll,

So my tank has been wet for 10 months now and has reached some maturity and is pretty stable in my water parameters so I am wanting to start adding corals, softies and LPS for now. I am pretty well stocked on fish so far so I wanted to use one of my two Fish QT tanks for corals only. I have a 20 gallon tall with an HOB filter and I plan on throwing some of my cured dry rock that I have had in my refugium for the last 6 months in it.

As far as lighting goes, I am wanting a cheaper solution for now until I can afford a better lighting set up for it.

I have a couple of options I have thought of and would like to hear some of your opinions on them.

1. I have a standard glass top with a T8 fixture for this tank. Would a single T8 lamp suffice for this, and if so which single color lamp should I pursue?

2. I have found a LED light on Amazon and would like to hear from anyone who may have any experience with it.

Thank you all in advance for any comments you have.

Happy Friday!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use a T8, unless you can rig up several.

Ideally, your QT lighting would be similar to your display. If you're using LEDs, then something similar to your link would work, but I would fine something with more wattage. With LPS and softies, that might work, however. Something like this might be something to look in to https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/smat-farms-led-from-amazon.843957/

OP
OP
scubaboy

scubaboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for your response.

My DT lighting are 2 Kessil A360X's and 4 T5's but cant go that route yet.

The link you sent has 2 of the SmatFarms LED's, is one better than the other?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I wouldn't spend that much on a coral QT either. No idea on the Smat farms. It's a big thread, so you may get some help there.

You might consider a cheap 2-4 bulb T5 fixture also.

Back