Coral QT question

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaltyB24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

SaltyB24

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 25, 2022
Messages
276
Reaction score
100
Location
TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I set up a coral QT tank can I just take seeded media from my sump and put it in HOB filter and add corals straight to the tank? Planning to use 50/50 water from my tank and freshly mixed SW. I don't have the space (or the time) to keep two tanks running constantly and since there wont be fish I guess I am confused why it would need to be cycled or establishing for a long period of time? If someone could elaborate on it I would be super grateful! I have all quarantined fish/inverts so not looking to mess up all that work but also trying to keep from overcomplicating/killing my first batch of coral.

Thanks guys!
 
When I set up a coral QT tank can I just take seeded media from my sump and put it in HOB filter and add corals straight to the tank? Planning to use 50/50 water from my tank and freshly mixed SW. I don't have the space (or the time) to keep two tanks running constantly and since there wont be fish I guess I am confused why it would need to be cycled or establishing for a long period of time? If someone could elaborate on it I would be super grateful! I have all quarantined fish/inverts so not looking to mess up all that work but also trying to keep from overcomplicating/killing my first batch of coral.

Thanks guys!
If you're just using it to QT coral, the tank doesn't even need to be cycled - corals can feed on ammonia directly, so unless the ammonia level goes through the roof, it's not really a concern.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new