Coral Recommendations Please!

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been slowly turning my harem-BTA tank into a softie rig and got some room on my aquascape for some more corals. R2R community - Help me pick the corals that will go in these respective circles please!

My Lighting/Flow situation:

I'm one of those weird people that's into wide/tall tanks -- this is a 150 W/T, so it's got more room than what it looks like. It also makes light penetration and flow difficult to get right. I have two kessil 360s and 2 x T5s in the canopy (soon to be 4X). I plan on adding another wave maker / set of powerheads in the near future to get rid of some annoying dead spots.

Stock:

I've got several large gorgonians that are due for a fragging/pruning, some mushrooms (more to be transplanted soon), green cabbage leather, two green finger leathers, and a yellow elegance.

I have a giant, old engineer goby that prohibits most sand/low corals. Outside of that the fish shouldn't bother any corals out there.

What do y'all think? I'm pretty much open to anything. If you have any questions ask away!

Coral Rec.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think a few different colored riccordias would be neat. I really like nepthya too.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agressive lps options
bubble coral add an interesting texture
Euphylia like mentioned above
Galaxea

Pipe organ coral can over grow other corals but easier to control than xenia.

Different types of gorgs.

Some softer looking hard corals
Pavona, when polyps extended looks very bushy.
Same could be said of corals like pavona.
Leptos etc.

OP
OP
Dancingmad

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the recommendations! I like the idea of bringing in some LPS into the mix!

Its going to be a while before I get my hands wet (at least probably 2 weeks). My 15 month old brought some hand, foot and mouth disease from daycare and it was shared with me. its...unpleasant.

OP
OP
Dancingmad

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Violet Circle: Favites war coral. That's what that rock was before the crash of 2014 - a big favites! We're going to bring it back.

Red Circle: Two Pavona corals. One pointing out to the left, one out to the right.

Yellow Circle: Two Leptos corals. One in the circle, one above it on the back ledge.

Acan and Euphillia were awesome recommendations, but they both command prices I'm not willing to spend. I see there is a bit of a Euph craze going on right now...they want some serious scratch for some of these torches out there. I got a purple torch w/ 3 large heads 10 years ago for like 30 bucks...grew it out to about 9 heads then some odd, invasive black sponge started growing at the base leading to polyp bailout. Hydrogen peroxide + tooth brush couldn't even take this sponge out.

I've never tried Leptos or Pavona corals, but they look really sweet, and based on what I've researched ought to be good in these places.

Thanks again!

Back