Coral safe vs Reef Safe

  • Thread starter Thread starter jerrod
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jerrod

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2019
Messages
353
Reaction score
651
Location
San Diego
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I could find a comprehensive list of Coral Safe fish. I see many sites will list reef safe w/ caution and you have to figure out if it will eat stony/soft coral or invertebrates etc. I am not especially worried about invertebrates I just want coral safe fish. Any help is appreciated.
 
I'm not aware of such a guide, but I do agree it would be helpful
 
What size tank do you have maybe we can give good recommendations
 
I've always had the same frustration too. There's a lot of fish listed as "with caution" or even as not reef safe at all, but it's only inverts they go after.

As said above, if you list what you have or what your thinking about, we can help!
 
Im still in the fallow phase and was just looking at future fish and was just wondering if such a list existed. Not looking for anything specific just curiosity. There are some awesome fish labeled as w/ caution and are safe with corals but I get annoyed sometimes having to research the specific fish regarding corals to find that they'll eat a shrimp.
 
I am also interested in this topic. I’ve got a reefer 250 that’s very new. One green chromis and no corals yet. I do have 15 plus corals, 2 clowns, a wrasse, cleanse shrimp, hermits and snails in a smaller tank that I will be transferring in safe time frame. BUT, I do want to add a tang or 2 and some other cool stuff. Was thinking a powder blue tang and either a yellow or blue hippo. Maybe a copperbanded butterfly. What are y’all’s thoughts?
 
Red Sea reefer?
 
I think that tank if Im right is only 65 gallons not enough for powder blue, yellow, hippo, or copper band butterfly.
 
I think that tank if Im right is only 65 gallons not enough for powder blue, yellow, hippo, or copper band butterfly.
I was not aware of that bc I see people posting with those fish in 55g displays quite a bit. Good to know
 
I was not aware of that bc I see people posting with those fish in 55g displays quite a bit. Good to know

Yeah in most peoples opinions it is cruel to put fish that swim long distances a day (like miles) in smaller tanks
 
the problem with a list like that, every fish, just like every person, has their own personality. Whats "reef safe" for some, may not be "reef safe" for another.
 
the problem with a list like that, every fish, just like every person, has their own personality. Whats "reef safe" for some, may not be "reef safe" for another.
That’s why coral safe with caution could exist but we’re just asking for a separate label...some with caution or not reef safe fish are 100% coral safe just not small fish or shrimp ect safe
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 17 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 16 47.1%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new