Coral shipment delayed - what do I do?

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew this would happen. I hate ordering online but pulled the trigger due to the prices and it was all WYSIWYG. Its coming all the way from California to NC. It was supposed to arrive by 10:30 a.m. and due to inclimate weather its stuck in Kentucky (I checked the weather over there and its literally just cloudy, maybe because there's heavy storms over here?) Either way I'm just wondering what to do, just be patient and it'll come when it comes? Its through UPS and I'm sure as many of you know their customer service is basically non existent. Pretty sucky experience for my first time ordering online. And it's 22 corals so definitely a lot to lose.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is it still in Kentucky? if it's on the way I would reroute it to a main hub close not a drop off that can be anything that has a contract with ups an might even close early or sometimes even the weekend. just pay it forward today an be nice to everyone even if it kills a part of you..................... do it for the karma...................cause 3 out of 5 my shipments this winter have not been happy out of the bag with regular on time drops made it but its been rough

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so is it still in Kentucky? if it's on the way I would reroute it to a main hub close not a drop off that can be anything that has a contract with ups an might even close early or sometimes even the weekend. just pay it forward today an be nice to everyone even if it kills a part of you..................... do it for the karma...................cause 3 out of 5 my shipments this winter have not been happy out of the bag with regular on time drops made it but its been rough
Unfortunately its not even on the way. It's still in Kentucky as of 1:42 a.m. I got an email back from the retailer I bought from saying there's over 20+ of their buyers that are affected and they're working with UPS to try and figure it out. Guess it's just a waiting game at this point

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corrals arriving a day late is not always as bad as you think. They can usually survive a hiccup like that. The most important thing is to out and temped ASAP. The biggest issue they will suffer is being in cold water. Generally speaking, most corals can survive cold water for a day or 2 without adverse reactions. Good Luck!

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also one of the 20+ effected from this.

I agree that, as long as Fedex keeps them in a temp controlled area, it should be OK. More harmful is if they get left on the delivery vehicle for a long period (at least here in Indiana where it is very cold now)

Having 22 corals in there could be a bonus too, as it would take a bit longer for that much water to cool down.

OP
OP
JosephM

JosephM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corrals arriving a day late is not always as bad as you think. They can usually survive a hiccup like that. The most important thing is to out and temped ASAP. The biggest issue they will suffer is being in cold water. Generally speaking, most corals can survive cold water for a day or 2 without adverse reactions. Good Luck!
What would be the best way to get them in the tank, 20 min float acclimation and then a quick 5-10 min dip and toss them in?
I am also one of the 20+ effected from this.

I agree that, as long as Fedex keeps them in a temp controlled area, it should be OK. More harmful is if they get left on the delivery vehicle for a long period (at least here in Indiana where it is very cold now)

Having 22 corals in there could be a bonus too, as it would take a bit longer for that much water to cool down.
Yeah you definitely have it colder up there then down here. I really hope it gets here today even if its late at night because I won't have much time at home tomorrow. I didn't think about the more corals= more water volume, that is definitely a good thing. I also find it suspicious when I look at the weather in Louisville KY there seems to be no big weather over there...

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I complained on FedEx's Facebook page during the holidays after my package was rescheduled for delivery three times. They managed to deliver it later that day so it was only delayed twice.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the best way to get them in the tank, 20 min float acclimation and then a quick 5-10 min dip and toss them in?

Yeah you definitely have it colder up there then down here. I really hope it gets here today even if its late at night because I won't have much time at home tomorrow. I didn't think about the more corals= more water volume, that is definitely a good thing. I also find it suspicious when I look at the weather in Louisville KY there seems to be no big weather over there...
You might need to do a longer float, depends on how cold they are. My dipping process takes longer. I wouldn't speed it up. I have a very small heater that I use. I don't use a controller. I will put it in the final bucket that I rinse in, and pull it out before I put the corals in it. I use the smallest one.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Arrgghhh...hope you guys get them before the weekend. Like mentioned previously, they often survive 2-3 days with no issue. I had that happen last year in the heat of August in NC. One casualty and LA gave a store credit. Many smaller dealers have a disclaimer that they are not responsible for carrier delays. In that case, they should insure them or something as we have no control on our end either. Not certain insurance is a possibility for corals though.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might need to do a longer float, depends on how cold they are. My dipping process takes longer. I wouldn't speed it up. I have a very small heater that I use. I don't use a controller. I will put it in the final bucket that I rinse in, and pull it out before I put the corals in it. I use the smallest one.
+1 on this

Don't try to rush your acclimation just to get them in the tank quicker. Better to let them float a little longer to make sure they get all the way up to DT temperature, then do you normal dips ... also with DT-temp water. Trying to rush it just for the sake of getting them in the DT a few minutes quicker is only likely to add stress and shock rather than alleviating it.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on this

Don't try to rush your acclimation just to get them in the tank quicker. Better to let them float a little longer to make sure they get all the way up to DT temperature, then do you normal dips ... also with DT-temp water. Trying to rush it just for the sake of getting them in the DT a few minutes quicker is only likely to add stress and shock rather than alleviating it.
Plus you run the risk of adding something that will kill them later.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many smaller dealers have a disclaimer that they are not responsible for carrier delays.

That's laughable. Companies love to try and make their problem yours.

They're not responsible for delays just as much as I'm not responsible for filing a chargeback with the CC.

If the item is not as expected (I.e late and DEAD) then buyer protection al the way.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's laughable. Companies love to try and make their problem yours.

They're not responsible for delays just as much as I'm not responsible for filing a chargeback with the CC.

If the item is not as expected (I.e late and DEAD) then buyer protection al the way.
I mean from a logical standpoint it's genuinely not their fault - they can't do anything about shipping delays.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am also one of the sorry souls that has corals stuck in kentucky. I am most anxious to get my popsicle sticks. I should start a chain, KIS (Kentucy Iced Sticks). Buy one Family sized bucket of frozen acro's, and get a free side of frozen acans.

yes that was a joke.
I need a few... pretty bummed.

DWPhilli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be their fault but they are responsible for checking the routes and seeing where they may be a problem.
I see it both ways.
In December I purchased some really expensive items from a vendor, and they held my order when there were expected delays. I was appreciative of this (I ended up requesting they hold until mid Jan.) , but I saw on R2R some people knocking them over this. If the vendor held orders because there might be snow, probably would get negative feedback (especially if the bad weather never materializes).
I have ordered from AquaSD before and they seem to be pretty good on customer service. I am sure they will make it right.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back