i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recall how popular micro scrubbing bubble treatments were several years ago? I’ve personally incorporated automated MSB and observed increased water clarity, darker skimmate, and increased coral growth. However, I cannot confirm that the growth was a direct effect of the MSB treatment. Yet with the coral releasing their slime coat as a stress response, it almost seems akin to cutting the tip off of an acro to encourage growth.

Anyway, I performed my first coral snow treatment this morning, and it left me feeling slightly underwhelmed. Especially in contrast to my prior experiences with MSB and the water clarity following.

This ultimately made me wonder if the effectiveness of the calcium carbonate treatment would be increased by incorporating MSB? I believe it would help loosen stubborn detritus while providing exfoliation and suspension for the calcium carbonate binding process. Additionally, I believe that when you power on your return following the treatment, it will aid in the export of the bound material and help it pass through your overflow more effectively.

I have yet to try this out personally, but for the sake of discussion, any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along here!

I am dosing snow every evening but struggle to see an actual change.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about intentional micro bubble scrubs, but whenever algae clogs the overflow I basically get the same effect with the return pump releasing air. LPS definitely don't like it that much..

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about intentional micro bubble scrubs, but whenever algae clogs the overflow I basically get the same effect with the return pump releasing air. LPS definitely don't like it that much..
Are you saying that you’re getting micro bubbles which are being released from the algae on the return?

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along here!

I am dosing snow every evening but struggle to see an actual change.
I’ve heard good things about coral snow dosing and this was my first experimenting with it. I suppose I expected more which lead me to this conclusion.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard good things about coral snow dosing and this was my first experimenting with it. I suppose I expected more which lead me to this conclusion.
Visually, i havent seen much if a difference. I read about 20-30 on my ORP which is neglectable.

Tank looks happy though, so I am not about to stop ;-)

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Visually, i havent seen much if a difference. I read about 20-30 on my ORP which is neglectable.

Tank looks happy though, so I am not about to stop ;-)
You stated that you’re dosing it nightly correct? Also are you using 1tsp/50g?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stated that you’re dosing it nightly correct? Also are you using 1tsp/50g?
I dose every evening - I am using a much more concentrated solution than that I'm affraid basis previous advice here on R2R! :grinning-face-with-sweat:

100g / 200 ml :D Been doing for about 3 months..

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying that you’re getting micro bubbles which are being released from the algae on the return?
Algae clogs the overflow, which lowers the sump water level just enough for the pump to start sucking in air bubbles

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I dose Coral Snow I create a microbubble storm. I think I heard Jake talking about it on a Reef Therapy podcast once and I've been doing it ever since. Seems to work really well.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn your return and skimmer off.. dose the snow in the display and just let circulate for 60-90 minutes and in that time clean your skimmer and filter socks out.. turn the return and skimmer back online and next morning your tank will be sparkly clean..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah do you have any input on the idea I mentioned above?
I do it 2-3 times a week with bacteria in my mix and coral amino… follow my steps above for your best results or read up on sunnyx posts “extreme water clarity and cyano eradication”

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One man that does uses calcium carbonate I think
He can give you more info @Fish Styx
Jon Hamm Yes GIF by Apple TV

Sorry for the delay in chiming in here. I've been pretty sick (COVID).

A few things to unpack here. First, I'm not convinced that microbubble scrubbing (MBS) has an appreciable impact on nutrient export, Vis-à-vis disolved organics. IME, considerable flow in the tank and a properly sized skimmer will remove these well enough. Will it hurt in this regard? No, likely not. Are there other risks involved? Absolutely, especially for livestock. Not the least of which being seen in fish with gill irritation and the potential for gas bubble disease (GBD) / trauma. I cannot speak from personal experience to the coral's irritation response spurring growth, but that, I would think, warrants further investigation.

Now, that being said, as mentioned, I dose a DIY coral snow (CS) comprised of CaCO3, TM Zooton, and TM Phyton. As a result, I see remarkable improvement in water clarity. Though, I also skim heavily, use a fleece roller, and employ both ozone and UV. Those could be confounding variables when trying to discern just how much clarity can be attributed to CS dosing on its own.

No two systems are the same, and clarity issues can be caused by a myriad of different issues. So if, anecdotally, you see better performance with one method as opposed to the other, I would go with what works for you. How would the two work in tandem? The most honest answer I could give would be, "I don't know". I would think that the bubbles would cause increased surface area for the CaCO3 to coat, thereby allowing it to bind to an increased amount of fine particulate; but, that is just speculation on my part.

Understanding all that that very long-winded response encompasses, I would say the following:

If you've done an assessment regarding MBS and found the risks to be acceptable and have already noticed benefits with regard to its impact on water clarity, then trying the two methods in tandem certainly wouldn't hurt. Go for it. Be sure, however, to document the process as best as possible and share your results with the community. Who knows, you may even develop the "i0nz Method".

Best of luck and happy reefing!

Last edited:

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jon Hamm Yes GIF by Apple TV

Sorry for the delay in chiming in here. I've been pretty sick (COVID).

A few things to unpack here. First, I'm not convinced that microbubble scrubbing (MBS) has an appreciable impact on nutrient export, Vis-à-vis disolved organics. IME, considerable flow in the tank and a properly sized skimmer will remove these well enough. Will it hurt in this regard? No, likely not. Are there other risks involved? Absolutely, especially for livestock. Not the least of which being seen in fish with gill irritation and the potential for gas bubble disease (GBD) / trauma. I cannot speak from personal experience to the coral's irritation response spurring growth, but that, I would think, warrants further investigation.

Now, that being said, as mentioned, I dose a DIY coral snow (CS) comprised of CaCO3, TM Zooton, and TM Phyton. As a result, I see remarkable improvement in water clarity. Though, I also skim heavily, use a fleece roller, and employ both ozone and UV. Those could be confounding variables when trying to discern just how much clarity can be attributed to CS dosing on its own.

No two systems are the same, so if, anecdotally, you see better performance with one method as opposed to the other, I would go with what works for you. How would the two work in tandem? The most honest answer I could give would be, "I don't know". I would think that the bubbles would cause increased surface area for the CaCO3 to coat, thereby allowing it to bind to an increased amount of fine particulate; but, that is just speculation on my part.

Understanding all that that very long-winded response encompasses, I would say the following:

If you've done an assessment regarding MBS and found the risks to be acceptable and have already noticed benefits with regard to its impact on water clarity, then trying the two methods in tandem certainly wouldn't hurt. Go for it. Be sure, however, to document the process as best as possible and share your results with the community. Who knows, you may even develop the "i0nz Method".

Best of luck and happy reefing!
Thank you
I forgot you were sick speedy recovery and thanks again

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you
I forgot you were sick speedy recovery and thanks again
No worries at all! Starting to feel much better. Just moving s l o w l y.

steve 1965

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you recall how popular micro scrubbing bubble treatments were several years ago? I’ve personally incorporated automated MSB and observed increased water clarity, darker skimmate, and increased coral growth. However, I cannot confirm that the growth was a direct effect of the MSB treatment. Yet with the coral releasing their slime coat as a stress response, it almost seems akin to cutting the tip off of an acro to encourage growth.

Anyway, I performed my first coral snow treatment this morning, and it left me feeling slightly underwhelmed. Especially in contrast to my prior experiences with MSB and the water clarity following.

This ultimately made me wonder if the effectiveness of the calcium carbonate treatment would be increased by incorporating MSB? I believe it would help loosen stubborn detritus while providing exfoliation and suspension for the calcium carbonate binding process. Additionally, I believe that when you power on your return following the treatment, it will aid in the export of the bound material and help it pass through your overflow more effectively.

I have yet to try this out personally, but for the sake of discussion, any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.
Hi so I have been using micro bubbles in my sump baffles 24/7 I also add 20ml of calcium carbonate with 1ml of Microbacter clean mixed with it along with live phyto daily every early morning before I go to work. I leave the main pump off for 15 minutes feed mode. And af FF er doing this my algae on my glass has been cut in half. Instead of scraping glass everyday it’s more like every three days and it’s usually just a fine film and very easy to get off. The water is clear and all my corals and fish seem happy. Not sure what effect it’s having to corals but I do know it’s working on on water clarity. And my skimmer seems to be in overdrive. Reef Matt felt is really dark and pulling out more denitris . I also do weekly water change and stir up any denitris and add a larger dose of just calcium carbonate and run micro bubbles through my gyres after cleaning and wait about 15 minutes then turn on main pump. With in three hours the tank is incredibly clear.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back