Coral/Tank Health

ScottyD36

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into the saltwater tanks two years ago. I have a Fluval 13.5 gallon tank that is two years old and a C VUE 40 gallon tank that is a year old. I see tanks on here with giant corals that are just flourishing with growth out of control. Then I look at my tank and wonder what I am doing wrong. In my 13.5 gallon tank I have Zoanthids, acans and rock flower anemone. For the life of me I can’t keep any acans. I have zero success. I do have one acan that is two years in my tank with two heads. It has never grown or created new heads. Other acans I have tried and they all eventually shrink out and die. I guess where I am going with this: what is everyone big secret to amazing corals? What are your ideal parameters you shoot for within your tank? I just want to see what everyone shoots for when it comes to corals to get a idea for what I should be doing and looking for. I appreciate any input and Happy Holidays. Below are my 13.5 gallon tank and my 40 gallon tank.

AE6CA29C-01F9-4341-AE78-6E46713ECAF6.jpeg 5B86B0AD-3538-4647-BB03-61A31327F537.jpeg CDF08987-427B-4799-ACCE-F2005CF637BD.jpeg 39158BFF-E22B-443C-A7BD-11F2899A4EA1.jpeg

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ScottyD36,

I started out with a Fluval Evo 13.5, which I only just recently started to shut down because I just set up a new 40 gallon tank and have moved my corals from the Fluval to it. My Fluval Evo 13.5 looked remarkably similar to yours and I struggled with Acan growth too until I moved to a new house. Settling in after the move was a time consuming process that made me have to pay less attention to the tank and parameters due to not having the time. I certainly did not abandon the tank and kept an eye out for any possible problems and never ran into any issues. Over this period of time, I decided to take the no water changes approach for about two months and did not try to adjust the tank's parameters. It was like a miracle happened in my tank. All of my corals grew faster and larger and my three Acans grew a half a dozen heads each over the course of about 3-4 months. Based off of my unexpected success under these circumstances, I would highly suggest you give it a try!

Drop a like if this helps!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back