Coral that aggressive fish won't eat?

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two tanks running and the 90 gallon has basically aggressive fish (dogface, bicolor angel, picasso trigger, huge filefish, dragon wrasse) and I just hate the look of nothing but rock and sand. Is there anything I can put in there that they won't pick at and eat? I assumed an anemone would be safe since they sting but they harass that, too. I don't want artificial plants in there, anything live that might survive these bullies?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously?!? You don't think they'll eat GSP????? I'm fine with being overrun with that but they have nipped at and eaten everything else.
In michigan? I'll give you enough to make a sweater out of.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly some macroalgae? The macroalgae that best resemble coral IMO are branching and plating coralline.
1702341510522.png
1702341543013.png

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two tanks running and the 90 gallon has basically aggressive fish (dogface, bicolor angel, picasso trigger, huge filefish, dragon wrasse) and I just hate the look of nothing but rock and sand. Is there anything I can put in there that they won't pick at and eat? I assumed an anemone would be safe since they sting but they harass that, too. I don't want artificial plants in there, anything live that might survive these bullies?
I have a picasso.
3 years in with zoas and GSP.
Hasn't touched any of them.
Eaten everything else.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hairy mushrooms will take over them in time

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing gets rid of GSP. That being said I still don't recommend anyone gets it lol.
Branching GSP ain’t bad - I’ve made so many frags and gave them away to new reefers! As long as you contain them on their own rock, they shoot up, like SPS but with more PE! Ha

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had luck with toadstools, leathers and Xenia

Pretty much this. Had these in my old tank with un reef safe fish.

The problems with brutes like this is the constant tearing apart looking for food. Flipping over rocks, tearing up corals to see whats underneath mashing there teeth on rocks just because and anything on the rocks suffers. Best bet is the above and hope you get lucky. Otherwise just go with one of those fake coral inserts and call it a day

OP
OP
SueAndHerZoo

SueAndHerZoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much this. Had these in my old tank with un reef safe fish.

The problems with brutes like this is the constant tearing apart looking for food. Flipping over rocks, tearing up corals to see whats underneath mashing there teeth on rocks just because and anything on the rocks suffers. Best bet is the above and hope you get lucky. Otherwise just go with one of those fake coral inserts and call it a day
Yeah, unfortunately I think you're all right..... I guess I'm limited on corals because the brutes destroy them and the seahorses get stung by them. I really thought the only fish that goes near an anemone was a clownfish - why aren't these thugs getting stung!!?!?!?!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back