Coral vs flame

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a juvenile coral or flame dwarf angel be an OK tank mate in a 30 gallon? I plan to upgrade in roughly 2 years
I’ve got 2 clown 2 cardinals 1 royal gamma and a gobby now with some shrimp and snails.

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They would be fine with the clowns, but I don't have experience with cardinals or royal gammas. Hopefully a more experienced member can give more info. I did find out the hard way that if you have any fleshy corals, that a coral beauty can be a menace. Took me 2 weeks to catch and remove from my tank and almost lost an acan and have read that flame angels can be worse

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. In terms of tank size you are fine for a good while on juveniles.

SOME dwarfs will nibble on zoas IME. (But only the expensive ones that look like candy.) Just keep them well fed and you'll probably be OK.

If you are asking about having BOTH a coral beauty and a flame in a 30, it gets a little sketchy with aggression. Unless you are prepared to rehome one if they cannot work it out, I would stick with one, not both, in a 30G.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a heavy bio load for a 30 gal, 6 fish
Also, that’s a Small space for an angel

Even though it’s a dwarf, they like to swim and pick off the live rock

What if you end up not doing the upgrade??

Not the best idea to get a fish thinking I’ll upgrade in the future.

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on getting just one dwarf, but if you guys don’t recommend then I’ll just hold off
Ive got live rock of course, but two soft corals and one candy cane coral

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could a juvenile coral or flame dwarf angel be an OK tank mate in a 30 gallon? I plan to upgrade in roughly 2 years
I’ve got 2 clown 2 cardinals 1 royal gamma and a gobby now with some shrimp and snails.

Would strongly advise against it. Dwarf Angels really should have a 4 foot long tank long term and are very likely to become cramped and aggressive in a tank of that size. I got to witness that first hand with a Flame Angel that I tried in my 36 gallon bowfront. Was a complete jerk to it's tankmates. Wait until you upgrade and then get one and you will be much happier with the result.

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a lemon peel or cherub angel be okay in my setup?
Basically would any angel fish be able to be added to my aquarium
Or for that matter any other colorful fish?

Last edited:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a lemon peel or cherub angel be okay in my setup?
Basically would any angel fish be able to be added to my aquarium
Or for that matter any other colorful fish?

Lemon Peel would be worse, especially if you have any coral, they get larger than either the CB or Flame. Cherub would be fine once your tank is upgraded.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cherub would be ok in a 30gal, but any of the other centropyge angels wouldn't be suitable.

One of my favorites that I personally have had better luck with not munching coral is the African flame back, much less likely to gobble up coral than flame angels or coral beautys

Just my .02

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need a tank twice your size for a dwarf angel. I'd go with some sort of firefish instead of an angel in a 30 gallon. They are really vibrant in color and will do well in a tank your size.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion based on past fish in my 4' 75g;
Aside from your bioload in a 30g, the established clowns will fight with the angel as it cruises through their territory, if they haven't already claimed the whole tank.
Then any dwarf angel will attempt to claim the whole tank for themselves.
And neither fish will back down from a fight.

I have a 2" coral beauty in my current 75g and it tries to fight with my 3-1/2" yellow tang, and chases my springer's dottyback.
Not the most peaceful fish, and a flame would be just as aggressive. They need a large grazing area.

You didn't mention what cardinals you have. My PJs kept away from other fish but disliked each other. My Bangaii turned into a territorial turd and was evicted.
Regardless, my personal preference is to keep no more than 1 fish per 5 gallons.
I had at one time 15 fish and there was a constant pecking order battle.

I prefer a more peaceful tank and have resigned myself to keeping the tennant's #s under 10 now, with a varied mix of species to best avoid fighting/stress.

OP
OP
M-Pod

M-Pod

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thank you makes sense !

Do lettus sea slugs and scarlet striped shrimp get along okay?
I’d really like to add a sea slug :)

Back