Coral Wars: Turf algae versus Cyphastrea; turf algae versus Leptoseris.

BRS

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a problem with turf algae in my tank. It's the variety that really roots itself into the rock and therefore is impossible to remove. Considering Vibrant, but not really in panic mode yet.

But I hav an interesting experiment playing out in the tank now. I've got a pretty good fast growing, healthy piece of Cyphastrea next to a patch of turf algae, and next to the turf algae is a pretty fast growing, healthy leptoseris. So, we've got two battle lines: Turf algae versus Cyphastrea, and turf algae versus Leptoseris.

Any wagers on who is going to win?

Turf algae versus Cyphastrea?
Turf algae versus Leptoseris?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Marketplace Rating
Reaction score
Turf algae- pull what you can by hand- reduce white light intensity or turn off white lights for. Week. You can pull roots from base with a dental pick or small crochet needle and add chiton, emerald crab, ninja starfish and urchin which will munch on this algae. Raising the mag to 1400 may help also

Udest

View Badges
Reaction score
You can also try blue ridge .from what I noticed in my tank when I last had it the coral would eventually grow over algae.

mdb_talon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
In my experience the coral will win but it slows the growth and ends up with thicker base.

In any case you cant reference coral wars without showing us some pictures!

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

Garf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m betting that with raised nutrients the algae will win, with lowered nutrients, few herbivores and lots of particulate matter the algae will win, with lowered nutrients and low particulate matter the coral will win. Algae has a nutrient advantage in that if not pruned back by manual intervention or herbivores it traps particulate matter and as it decays, uses the nutrients contained within.

BRS

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 138 33.0%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 59 14.1%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 28 6.7%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 121 28.9%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 56 13.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 16 3.8%
Vivid