Coralife Biocube 32 lighting question

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry you can't understand that I am not about to spend $300+ on lights for this tank when I won't be in it more than 2 years. I know there is lighting out there that will be more than adequate for less than $200. If you are only going to suggest I spend $300+ on lighting upgrade then you are of no help, thanks.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, my Biocube 32 with stock lights is supporting my leathers, zoas mushrooms, and a hammer nicely. I wouldn't hesitate to put a couple other undemanding LPS in there.

The OP can easily get started with the stock lights and upgrade later if desired.
724ab11c96bd4c8c1e014ed5b7f6a653.jpg

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, my Biocube 32 with stock lights is supporting my leathers, zoas mushrooms, and a hammer nicely. I wouldn't hesitate to put a couple other undemanding LPS in there.

The OP can easily get started with the stock lights and upgrade later if desired.
724ab11c96bd4c8c1e014ed5b7f6a653.jpg

Yes!!!!!! Thank you for posting lol. This is all I was trying to say. No sense in wasting money on an “upgrade” when the Current Orbits are not an actual upgrade from stock BC32 leds. Save the money.

OP getting very defensive, just trying to help man

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes!!!!!! Thank you for posting lol. This is all I was trying to say. No sense in wasting money on an “upgrade” when the Current Orbits are not an actual upgrade from stock BC32 leds. Save the money.

OP getting very defensive, just trying to help man

Defensive??? Try frustrated because people spitting out options that cost much more than this tank, and no One reading that in am not willing to spend that much at this time on lighting for this tank. Tell you what I will leave this forum due to this. O sense in being involved in a forum if people don't read the question or cannot comprehend the question. Bye

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I just realized you’re not OP. Maybe that’s the problem that you hikacked the thread. My first was comment directed at OP not you.

I thought George was OP also. Whoops.

George, I’m sorry if my messages are coming across some sort of way. Believe me when I say I’m not meaning them that way, just trying to help.

George Willings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after getting my Biocube up and running, well, the lights do need to be upgraded. If Current is hardly an upgrade then that is out of the question, talked to my wife and she agrees that it does need to be upgraded. I will be upgrading the light to an AI Prime HD and removing the hood. No I did not want to spend that type of money on lighting, but gotta do what you gotta do. Just wont be happening right away, as I have already spent a bit of money at this point, also I have no corals or fish in the tank either at this point.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lights are one of the most expensive things in this hobby in my opinion. Most light setups cost way more than the tanks they sit above it seems like. If you don’t want to pay for a good upgrade then I see no reason to waste money on a mediocre upgrade. The stock lights are sufficient you just won’t get as much growth and color as you see in some tanks.
I have a biocube light on my 10 gallon tank, and my acans are not doing well. I always read they like low light so I kept them on bottom but maybe the bottom with the par this puts out is way to low for lps. I believe i read highest par is 60 or some really low number! Do you people keep any lps on bottom? I also mean sandbed when I say bottom because I havent attached anything yet and am going to move them into my big tank in about a month or so. Its just cycled and not ready for corals if I want to do this the right way. I waited to add corals in 10 gallon and never had any algae!

Dont hate me when I say this but I just recieved 18 frags from unique corals because I won there live sale grand prize. LOL Plus I have plenty left to spend and I am afraid they may not survive. I wish I would have waited now until my other tank was ready but got tired of waiting and I just got this light and had current before which is way higer par I believe It 100 or more. Do you guys think I should move them up (frags) from the get go? I know you are suppose to start low and move up but being we are dealing with low par! How succesful have people been with acans, blastos, torch, gonopora duncans, Zoas Any advice on placement of any of these and intensity would be great! I suppose I should run at full intensity? Isnt blue light resposible for growth and not white? also who is Steve and what is this Steves led? I had a credit at petco so when my current broke I bought this because I thought it was stronger than current based on how wide it is and how many lights and I know I have heard of people growing sps as well with this! I have a setosa as well which is sps but that was a 5 buck live sale item! A scrool turbinaria as well but if both die I am only out of 10 bucks! Just hope I can keep these going until I move up to big tank and I think I am getting kessils. Right now lights out! Apreciate any advice on placement of some of these coral, just had them a few days!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back