OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be happy you don't have it! It sucks getting it off my pumps. Glass .
Yea well that’s the trade off of having a smaller (36 gallon ) in living room that I daily messing with vs if I upgraded to 120 4x4x2 in kitchen on back wall. What I want btw and I wldnt mind scraping off that gift from the gods haha

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my ATO . And pics of coraline I have on rocks that is growing

Attachments

• 8802D1A4-2BA8-47AE-9AF0-4B60BAE57BBE.jpeg
    8802D1A4-2BA8-47AE-9AF0-4B60BAE57BBE.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 42

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wait. Mine took forever (I started with a small dose of AFR) but now it's all over my sump. It seems to prefer low light and flow (at least the kind I have).

Not to mention, once it grows on everything you'll probably miss not having it! Lol

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Notice in your pics how it grows in the shaded areas? IMO coraline does not like bright light. My tanks have very thick coraline in the corners and shaded areas but high light areas are barren. LEDs just seem to bake it or maybe its the wavelength, I don't know but when I was running T-5s had to scrape it constantly. I also frequently dose small amounts MB7 which coats all surfaces and discourages other growth. I have had my share of scraping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some turbo snails from California and my coraline took off. I don't think I got any for 6 months.
You didn’t get any Coralline for 6 months ? After starting tank or after introducing turbos ? I have had same big 3 turbos for about past 6 months and they are awesome for the green slime on glass.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly believe it has something to do with the fact I don’t have a sump and / or the increased water volume. I feel like having a refugium and a sump wld increase my coralline growth but have no reason as to why I believe that .

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly believe it has something to do with the fact I don’t have a sump and / or the increased water volume. I feel like having a refugium and a sump wld increase my coralline growth but have no reason as to why I believe that .
I have a HOB filter and it stays pretty cleaned regularly.

Makara23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the best natural introduction of coralline is to seed your tank with ocean live rock. That's all I did, and after keeping parameters stable, it's rapidly taking over all rocks, but none on the glass or plastic bits (yet?).

Also note that coralline is not just purple or pink. If your back wall is a hard sheet of green stuff like you mentioned, that's most likely green coralline.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the best natural introduction of coralline is to seed your tank with ocean live rock. That's all I did, and after keeping parameters stable, it's rapidly taking over all rocks, but none on the glass or plastic bits (yet?).

Also note that coralline is not just purple or pink. If your back wall is a hard sheet of green stuff like you mentioned, that's most likely green coralline.

OP
OP
A

Addicted2Reef’n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It worked , I have coralline on glass ! So last week I found a post of a 180 gallon that had been running for 15 years that was being broken down and live rock sold. I reached out to them and they lived close to work so I stopped by to check it out and he gave me a ziplock bag of reef rubble with coraline as well as several scrapings. I put the small piece of rubble in my HOB filter and after mashed up and poured in the scrapings. That was last Friday and today Thursday I have a spot growing the size of a nickel on back glass that was not there a few days ago . Also been running royal blues and other blues but no whites at same time and using purple up.

Attachments

• 92E8C2F7-2F1B-4822-B47E-F1BA92A1A27F.jpeg
    92E8C2F7-2F1B-4822-B47E-F1BA92A1A27F.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 38

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d take a closer look at phosphate levels if I were you. I noticed some GHA in some of your pics and I think it is giving you the wrong PO4 readings. Try manually removing as much algae as you can and then use hydrogen peroxide to target the hard to remove areas. I heard that algae sucks up PO4 before you can get it’s true reading. And higher phosphate levels hinders coralline growth.

Gyarados

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case when I was after coralline growth like you, it was something to do with trace elements. I initially started with two part dosing and then locked my parameters with only kalk dosing and water changes. But I noticed explosion of coralline when I switched to All-For-Reef dosing. I don’t know if it’s strontium or something else just my observation and experience with coralline.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful what you wish for. I have to scrape coralline all the time and a scratched my glass.

This is coralline if its hard. Coralline is not only purple and pink. Green is common and I also have a pink variety that florescents under the blues.

Screenshot_20230209_105943_Chrome.jpg

If you want more purple, just scrape some of this off your rock. It'll spread around. Screenshot_20230209_105900_Chrome.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see multiple types of algae in your tank which is out competing and limiting your coralline growth. The various algae you have indicates something is out of balance in your tank which also limits your ability to sustain coralline.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back