Coralline Algae and LEDs

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read the same thing as you are saying. I'll double check my parameters. The nuisance algae points to excessive nutrients, even though my testing shows 0 Phosphates and 1 to 3 nitrates (under 5). I know that's because the algae is consuming the nutrients, so that's why the numbers look low, but I swear I'm not over feeding. Could the excess nutrients be coming from having too many soft coral, ie....die off? My hammer is up against my zoas, and I'm thinking that some coral warfare is going on. I run a protein skimmer, and clean my filters and do 10% water changes religiously.
Low numbers sadly don’t mean no algae. The statement most wilder used is to keep the numbers down to discourage algae growth.

IMO , nutrients mean nothing to corraline algae growth. I’ve had high and low numbers over the years.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 AP700’s over my 240 fowlr. Purple Coralline grows just fine. I used to have green algae on my sand but nuked it with chemi clean. I run 13 hours, ramp up and down morning and night, and max at 30%.

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown microalgae like blue light since the accessory photosynthetic pigments (carotenoids) that make these algae appear brown absorb blue light. I guess your light is much bluer now than it was before the change of lighting. Maybe your coralline algae do not like it.

OP
OP
GoPitt88

GoPitt88

Pitt Basketball is BACK!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown microalgae like blue light since the accessory photosynthetic pigments (carotenoids) that make these algae appear brown absorb blue light. I guess your light is much bluer now than it was before the change of lighting. Maybe your coralline algae do not like it.

Hmmm....maybe that's it! I'll try bumping the color up a notch or two.

redpine42

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running with AI Hydra 26 HD's, started my tank about a month and I got purple coralline algae spots on all my rocks. Plan on starting to dose in the next couple days.

Bmasculine

Serial SPS murderer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run a hydra 26 and have plenty of coralline growth I just set this tank up in May, PAR at the very bottom of my tank is 160
03C34E41-2DAF-4FED-A449-ECA3565BE2CF.jpeg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fact: corraline algae grows ubandantly at a certain depth of the sea. Its so predictable that scientsits are considering using it as a biological marker.

aquariumworks

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem with coralline growth, after changing from 8xT5 lamps to 3xRadion XR30Pro.
I miss the color on the rock, but like the polyp extension and growth of all my corals.
So I’ve been apprehensive about changing my LED settings.
If anyone has been on a real coral reef, it’s the same where SPS coral thrive.
The only place that I seen coralline in the wild was on shaded reef walls or in the protected areas below healthy SPS coral; also on larger reef rubble(Live Rock) laying in the sand where the water clarity was poor.
Here’s my Aquarium stats; very stable and close to the same when running 8 T5 lamps which were working out great for over 10 years. The only reason I changed from T5’s was the higher costs of electricity here in Southern California.

55”x24”x24” display
170 gallon system volume
Refugium with Miracle Mud, calupra and 24 hrs light
Temp 79°
Salinity 1.026
pH 8.4
DKH 9
CA 450
Mg 1350
Sr 10

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back