Coralline Algae Identification

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept reef tanks since the 80’s. After a relatively recent move, I setup a new tank, a 93g corner. The tank has been running for about two years and it’s been rough. Somethings up with my water source. Anyways, despite much effort, I’ve been unable to get any coraline algae to grow. I’ve seeded it, used PurpleUP, among other methods. I am at the tail end of a nasty Cyanobacteria chapter. Suddenly, in the last two weeks, I’m getting deep red algae everywhere. In the past, in every tank, the coraline has been pink/Purple. Is this coraline? It’s the same color as the cyano, deep red. As I show in the video, I use a wire brush to show it’s not cyano. Is this coraline or is it some new form of hell I must contend with, a cyano relative come to ruin my tank?

1543c14e4181900b85f9f3ee7dd2a466.heic
2a3f6c02473131f811f6c29ee1ac6f4d.heic

zieg9479

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try searching the forums for encrusting red algae. I've had an encrusting spot on a rock grow and recede for two years now. I also got some rock from someone else and their red algae was so proliferous it grew into layered 1" flakes. Anyway, red algae is considered coralline but I think it is less common in reef tanks than others.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try searching the forums for encrusting red algae. I've had an encrusting spot on a rock grow and recede for two years now. I also got some rock from someone else and their red algae was so proliferous it grew into layered 1" flakes. Anyway, red algae is considered coralline but I think it is less common in reef tanks than others.

Wow! I read that thread. That looks nasty and brutal! Thankfully mine doesn’t look like that, strictly encrusting and not at all platting and appearing only on rock and overfly. It’s behaving like coraline should, but it’s the color that’s caught me off guard. I’ll definitely keep a close watch on it. This is exactly why I keep a 55g trash can filled with rocks, in case I need to replace the ones in the tank.

oceanfreak09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say it is Coraline because it is hard. Coraline comes in an array of colors! I love rocks that are speckled in all the colors! My tanks gets red, purple, and green. (Wish It would get pink!) I have a lot of rock rubble and shells that are covered in Coraline if you wanted to glue them to you rockwork to get other colors started. I'm going to be searching for someone that can spare some pink! Also before I kept my water condition pristine ,as well as having good water sources ,I used to only get the red color. (That was with my FOWLR system, ever since I went reef I started getting the other colors.)

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defiantly looks like coraline to me. I have some of that same color.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity what salt are you using? I don't ask because I question you, but I set up a tank almost a year ago and I'm surprised I only have it on the live rock that came out of another tank. No issues with anything. It has just been an observation. My thoughts previous was high light, low nutrients, or salt, but it's just a theory.

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity what salt are you using? I don't ask because I question you, but I set up a tank almost a year ago and I'm surprised I only have it on the live rock that came out of another tank. No issues with anything. It has just been an observation. My thoughts previous was high light, low nutrients, or salt, but it's just a theory.

I had the exact same issue. There was no reason my tank shouldn’t have grown coralline like crazy. I tried everything. I use Redsea Coral pro. The strange thing is it just started growing one day and fast. I had made zero changes. I wish I knew why it finally started growing, some secret method. I’m stumped.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the exact same issue. There was no reason my tank shouldn’t have grown coralline like crazy. I tried everything. I use Redsea Coral pro. The strange thing is it just started growing one day and fast. I had made zero changes. I wish I knew why it finally started growing, some secret method. I’m stumped.
Ok, that rules out low alk as the culperate then. I use tropic Marin pro and keep my alk at 7.0. RS pro is probably the highest alk salt out. My other 2 tanks have a ton of coralline, but have 10-40x the N and P. And also half the amount of light. But weren't started with tropic Marin. Any idea what your par is?

OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, No idea on my par. I have one 250w Halide and one Kessil 360w.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking low coralline may be related to higher light. For both of us. Unless of course you have a water contamination issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing that’s worth noting. By far most of the coralline I have growing, it’s all in places of high current. It’s all on front of my MP40. One photo is left, one is right, the one with the cable is in front of MP40.
35c2ee97680f6fc4772b9dadae5665eb.heic
0cf159df5ff03cb27c50bf15f7b1e60e.heic
3dec9f17dd258b18c6227766d22a850b.heic

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back